Question about agent jobs

• Hi,
    All of my jobs have stopped running, and I noticed something in security.
    If I go to my agent login properties the only database it is not mapped to is the one the jobs run for.
    The problem is I do not know if it was mapped before, I never went in here before, and I would not know what would have in -mapped it if it were mapped. 
    So my question is should this be mapped?
    And if not would anyone know what else I can look at as to why my jobs would all just stop with no errors messages.
    Thank you

• What do you mean "mapped"? Do you mean the service account that the SQL Server Agent runs under doesn't have a user on that database? If not, then no the SQL Server Agent won't be able to access that database, nor run any jobs/steps against it. Unless you have Database Ownership Chaining, but I'm guessing that isn't the case.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I am talking about the Security properties. If you go to Security --> Logins --> SQL\Agent -->

t is in this mapping that every database is checked but the one that I really care about (our main one); and this si the one that all the jobs run on.
    Should they all be checked?
    Thank you

• itmasterw 60042 - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:39 AM

I am talking about the Security properties. If you go to Security --> Logins --> SQL\Agent -->

t is in this mapping that every database is checked but the one that I really care about (our main one); and this si the one that all the jobs run on.
    Should they all be checked?
    Thank you

That is exactly what i am talking about in my post still. A login, unto itself, doesn't have any permissions on any databases other than what the guest user does; which is normally disabled or has none. For a Login to be able to do anything on a database it must have a user on  that database, and that user must have the relevant permissions.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Okay so if I go t you right, then it should not be checked?

• See I am not sure I am under standing you right.
    because when I check other ones here  Some are all checked and some are not.
    So I do not think I am not under standing this.

• itmasterw 60042 - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:00 AM

See I am not sure I am under standing you right.
    because when I check other ones here  Some are all checked and some are not.
    So I do not think I am not under standing this.

By default, the service account for SQL Server Agent is a sysadmin. So permissions, mappings to databases shouldn't matter. Start by checking if the account is a sysadmin.  If it's a sysadmin, just ignore the mappings. You should be checking the per service sid for the account - NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT. Lots of information related to this in the following documentation:
    Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions

Sue

• Okay thanks everyone for your help, I will look at this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply