Question ...

• I have 2 SQL servers at the company I work for, the one is the production server and the other is the 'standby' server. The way this system is setup, is not my call tho, I have a way different setup in mind...

Anyways.. the database I am called to backup is 45 gigabytes, so the backup device (full backup) is about that size. Via network, it has to be copied to another hard drive from the production server to the standby server (via netbios). The automation is done via the Scheduled service of Win NT. SQL server version is 7 with SP3.

Problem is that when the schedule job fails, the error code returned to the job is 0x1 and of course the people auditing the job cannot know what has happened. So what they think of doing, is install FTP servers on both SQL servers and replace the netbios copy with FTP copy, hoping that they will have more informationn

What do you think about it?

Thank you in advance

Aris.

Edited by - aroutis on 05/15/2003 03:19:57 AM

• Why don't you sincronize first with the full and then only pass, differencial and logs backups.

Or why don't you configure a real Standby server, to let SQL to pass and apply all the logs backups, instead of copying the entire full backup.

• quote:

Why don't you sincronize first with the full and then only pass, differencial and logs backups.

Or why don't you configure a real Standby server, to let SQL to pass and apply all the logs backups, instead of copying the entire full backup.

What I'd love to do would be exactly the latter, have a real standby server. However, no matter how much I tell them (even YELL them to do that) they won't listen to me.

What is done, is copy via netbios of the full backup, (45gig), then restore over no-recovery mode to the 'standby' server, then the 'production server' will be backed up every 30 min with differencial backups, that will then be sent over netbios to the other server. In case of failure, the latest differencial available will be then applied and the 'standby' will turn to 'production'.

You do realise that if -and that happens frin time to time- the copy of the full backup fails, then the whole scenario collapses. And on top, they wanna put FTP servers to both Servers cause they figured (somehow, this elludes me -yes this IS sarcasm) that it's all netbios fault.

Edited by - aroutis on 05/19/2003 06:29:50 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply