Question

• User ran delete statement and cause the prod issue. Looking to revoke user permissions from the prod. However, user still wants update permission. I was thinking going forward the future script changes has to run by DBA. Is any other solutions you can advise to accomodate update permissions?

• Grant the user UPDATE permission on the tables in question, and deny DELETE on the same tables.  You can do that directly or via membership of a role that you assign those permissions.  Make sure that the user doesn't get DELETE permission through membership of a different role, such as db_datawriter.

John

• I believe that the DENY permissions take precedence over any GRANT permissions.

Also, OP, when you are creating topics, it's very helpful to summarize the question in the name of the thread.  "Revoke DELETE permissions" is much more descriptive than "Question".

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I would seriously question the need for this user to update data directly in production. If this user already caused an issue by deleting, I would expect the same thing happening with and UPDATE without WHERE.
    I'll say that you should revoke all permissions in prod and every change should be reviewed and documented before applied.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Absolutely agree with Luis.

• An update can be just as bad as a delete statement(potentially worse since a mass delete is likely to be immediately noticed a mass update might screw things up for far longer), if the user is not responsible enough for delete permissions they are likely also not responsible enough for update permissions.

• Luis Cazares - Friday, February 1, 2019 10:07 AM

I would seriously question the need for this user to update data directly in production. If this user already caused an issue by deleting, I would expect the same thing happening with and UPDATE without WHERE.
    I'll say that you should revoke all permissions in prod and every change should be reviewed and documented before applied.

+100

• Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply