Query with combined exclusion

• Hello,

I have a query where I am trying to specifically exclude records where the combination of two conditions is true. When I type it it looks like this:

SELECT

fldA, fldB, fldC

FROM

vwMyView

WHERE

(fldTimestamp >= @timeval)

AND

NOT ((location_ID = 2) AND (removed_ID = 1))

The idea here is that records where location_ID = 2 but removed_ID <> 1 will be returned, as will records where removed_ID = 1 but location_ID <>2. I want it so that only records where location = 2 and removed_ID = 1 will be excluded. When I run the query, the query is reformated/refactored to this:

SELECT

fldA, fldB, fldC

FROM

vwMyView

WHERE

(fldTimestamp >= @timeval) AND (NOT(location_ID = 2)) OR

(fldTimestamp >= @timeval) AND (NOT(removed_ID = 1))

I suspect that I have my brackets wrong in the original query. Could someone help me out? Thanks,

Tom

• The query editor sometimes refactors things in a way that "makes sense" to it. From the looks of it - both statements are logically the same, so I don't see any harm in using either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If you had this data, what would you want returned? Assuming all 3 dates are greater than or equal to your date criteria?

fldTimestamp location_id removed_id

----------------------- ----------- -----------

2008-05-24 12:00:37.710 1 1

2008-05-25 12:00:37.710 1 2

2008-05-26 12:00:37.710 2 1

• Hi and thanks to both of you for your replies. I have seen the 'auto refactoring' thing before and was under the impression that it didn't change the meaning of the original command. However, I suspected that maybe what I wanted my original to say and what it was actually saying might be two different things! 😉

Jack, from your sample data I would want the first two records to be returned. Either of the conditions on their own should be fine. It's only the combination of the two conditions (where location = 2 AND removed = 1) that I want to exclude. Hope that makes sense!

So just to re-frame the question, do the two queries in my original question mean the same thing? And if so, are they doing what I wanted (as explained above)?

• thomas.lemesurier (5/23/2008)

Hi and thanks to both of you for your replies. I have seen the 'auto refactoring' thing before and was under the impression that it didn't change the meaning of the original command. However, I suspected that maybe what I wanted my original to say and what it was actually saying might be two different things! 😉

Jack, from your sample data I would want the first two records to be returned. Either of the conditions on their own should be fine. It's only the combination of the two conditions (where location = 2 AND removed = 1) that I want to exclude. Hope that makes sense!

So just to re-frame the question, do the two queries in my original question mean the same thing? And if so, are they doing what I wanted (as explained above)?

You're looking at a NAND, in which case both notations are correct:

a NAND b = NOT (a AND b) = (NOT a) OR (NOT b)

In your case - with a third criterion:

c AND (a NAND b) = c AND ((NOT a) OR (NOT b)) = (c AND (NOT a)) OR (c AND (NOT b))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Based on the following test both queries are evaluated the same and return the same and desired data:

[font="Courier New"]

CREATE TABLE #vwMyView (fldTimestamp DATETIME, location_id INT, removed_id INT)

CREATE INDEX IX_Test ON #vwMyView(fldTImestamp, location_id, removed_id)

INSERT INTO #vwMyView

SELECT

GETDATE()+1,

UNION ALL

SELECT

GETDATE()+2,

UNION ALL

SELECT

GETDATE()+3,

DECLARE @timeval DATETIME

SET @timeval = GETDATE()

SELECT

fldTimestamp,

location_id,

removed_id

FROM

#vwMyView

WHERE

fldTimestamp >= @timeval AND

NOT (location_ID = 2 AND removed_ID = 1)

SELECT

fldTimestamp,

location_id,

removed_id

FROM

#vwMyView

WHERE

(fldTimestamp >= @timeval) AND (NOT(location_ID = 2)) OR

(fldTimestamp >= @timeval) AND (NOT(removed_ID = 1))

[/font]

• Matt, Jack,

Thanks, you've proved this to me conclusively, nice work 😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply