Query Performance issue.

• Hi ,

I am experiencing performance problems with queries which use wildcards at each end of a search criteria e.g. (WHERE Surname = %Jones%).

I need to allow for this type of querying, and am looking into using Full Text Indexing, as I've been informed that this can help to improve performance.

Is this a good option, and are there any disadvantages to Full Text Indexing please?

Thanks.

• The problem isn't the wild card at the end of the criteria. It's the wild card at the start. That requires a scan of the column, which can lead to poor performance.

Either just use the final wild card, or, look to using the full text index and full text search criteria instead of straight T-SQL.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks.

Can you tell me how Full Text Indexes are stored please? I know how clustered indexes are stored. How are Full Text Indexes stored in comparison?

Thanks

• ggjjbb1983 (5/8/2012)

Thanks.

Can you tell me how Full Text Indexes are stored please? I know how clustered indexes are stored. How are Full Text Indexes stored in comparison?

Thanks

That will let you to start: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142571(v=sql.105).aspx

You will find that Full Text search is not the same as LIKE. It has very different use pattern and there are some limitations (search for words containing special characters eg. dashes would require some custom solution).

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• full text is stored outside the DB as full text catalogues - they have nothing to to with clustered or nonclustered indexes

see this article to get you started

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/understanding-full-text-indexing-in-sql-server

full text indexing in this instance proboably won't help you as you need to update the catalogues before the results appear in the search - ie the search isn't realtime.

it would be better to improve the quality of your SQL and make sure you can use indexes properly - ie do you really need to use LIKE '%JONES%' - can you use ='JONES'

MVDBA

• Hi,

That article doesnt explain how the actual data is stored. I just need to know if using this type of index uses a large amount of disk space?

• full text indexing in this instance proboably won't help you as you need to update the catalogues before the results appear in the search - ie the search isn't realtime.

If the catalog is automatically or manually updated when the data is added then it wont need to be updated when I query the data - Isn't this how it works? Surely it doesnt update the catalog every time a query it?

• michael vessey (5/8/2012)

full text is stored outside the DB as full text catalogues - they have nothing to to with clustered or nonclustered indexes

see this article to get you started

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/understanding-full-text-indexing-in-sql-server

full text indexing in this instance proboably won't help you as you need to update the catalogues before the results appear in the search - ie the search isn't realtime.

it would be better to improve the quality of your SQL and make sure you can use indexes properly - ie do you really need to use LIKE '%JONES%' - can you use ='JONES'

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+are+full+text+indexes+stored

MVDBA

• ... Surely it doesnt update the catalog every time a query it?

I cannot understand what are you up to exactly, but:

No, the FT catalog is not updated every time you query it

• There are ways around this, so it shouldn't cause a problem.

• Ah Ok, you dont know the answer. Could have just said.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• here are the ways full text indexes are updated - typically they get updated on a schedule - therefore your results will not be realtime

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa214782(v=sql.80).aspx

MVDBA

• You can set your FT index population to CHANGE_TRACKING AUTO.

It will make FT index to be updated after data is modified, not immediately, but quite close to it.

• They can be updated manually, using a trigger for example, which fires on the insert. Also, i dont need the catalog updates to be real time.

The issue was, I just wanted to know if a Full Text Index uses a considerable amount of space?

• ggjjbb1983 (5/8/2012)

They can be updated manually, using a trigger for example, which fires on the insert. Also, i dont need the catalog updates to be real time.

The issue was, I just wanted to know if a Full Text Index uses a considerable amount of space?

the answer depends on the size of your text/CLOB fields and the uniqueness of words in them

they are stored externally to SQL server and can be located on different disks to your data - i can't give you an exact size because i don't know your data, but all of this info is freely available via google

and your original question was

Is this a good option, and are there any disadvantages to Full Text Indexing please?

which is what we tried to answer

MVDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply