Query multiple node values from XML column into table

• Hi All
    I have been working on this for a couple days now and can't figure it out. I am trying to query a string in an XML column from a table. I can get only the 1st value to return. I need all the values in the XML. Basically, this table holds activation keys for multiple licenses. There are multiple licenses for one activation code and all those licenses are stored in an XML string.
    CREATE TABLE TBLA (
    Customer varchar(100) NULL,
    ActivationKey varchar(100) NULL,
    OrderXML XML NULL
    )

The XML string looks like this:

<ns1:Order xmlns:ns1="http://company.com/licensing/neworder/v2">
    <ns1:AccountInfo Name="NewCustomerName" CRMAccountId="A021111" />
    <ns1:OrderInfo CRMOrderId="S12345.A020739.12/17/2018 7:23:13 AM" Date="12/17/2018 12:00:00 AM" FulfillmentContactEmail="cathryncrane@gmail.com" FCOrganizationalLevel="" >
      <ns1:Licensing>
      <ns1:Licenses Type="Update">
       <ns1:License LicenseId="L1111111" StartDate="2017-10-12" >
        <ns1:Capabilities>
        <ns1:Capability Name="Pull" />
        <ns1:Capability Name="Query" />
        </ns1:Capabilities>
       </ns1:License>
       <ns1:License LicenseId="L1111123" StartDate="2017-10-12" >
        <ns1:Capability Name="Push" />
       <ns1:License LicenseId="L111145" StartDate="2017-10-12" >
      </ns1:Licenses>
      </ns1:Licensing>
    </ns1:OrderInfo>
    </ns1:Order>

This is the SQL

;WITH XMLNAMESPACES
    (default 'http://winshuttle.com/licensing/neworder/v2')
    SELECT  activationcode,
    CustomerName,
    [OrderXMLText].value('(OrderFromCRM/OrderInfo/Licensing/Licenses/@Type)[1]','varchar(100)') as [Type]

[OrderXMLText].value('(OrderFromCRM/OrderInfo/Licensing/Licenses/License/@LicenseId)[1]','varchar(100)') as [CRMLicenseId]
    FROM #TMPA

Although the XML has 3 licenses, it only returns 1 row -- the 1st license value in the XML String

How do I need to write this so I can flatten the XML into a table with a row with each license and the activation code associated with it.  The activation code would be repeated for it's associated license.

Thank you!

• Here is an example that should get you passed this hurdle.
    😎

USE TEEST;
    GO
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @TXML XML = '<ns1:Order xmlns:ns1="http://company.com/licensing/neworder/v2">
    <ns1:OrderInfo CRMOrderId="S12345.A020739.12/17/2018 7:23:13 AM" Date="12/17/2018 12:00:00 AM" FulfillmentContactEmail="cathryncrane@gmail.com" FCOrganizationalLevel="" >
    </ns1:Order>';

;WITH XMLNAMESPACES (DEFAULT 'http://company.com/licensing/neworder/v2')
    SELECT
      ORD.DATA.value('(AccountInfo/@Name)[1]'                 ,'VARCHAR(50)' ) AS AccountInfo_Name
     ,ORD.DATA.value('(AccountInfo/@CRMAccountId)[1]'         ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS AccountInfo_CRMAccountId
     ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@CRMOrderId)[1]'             ,'VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_CRMOrderId
     ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@Date)[1]'                   ,'DATE'        ) AS OrderInfo_Date
     ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@FulfillmentContactEmail)[1]','VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_FulfillmentContactEmail
     ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@FCOrganizationalLevel)[1]'  ,'VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_FCOrganizationalLevel
     ,LIC.DATA.value('@LicenseId'                             ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS LicenseId
     ,LIC.DATA.value('@StartDate'                             ,'DATE'        ) AS StartDate
     ,LIC.DATA.value('(Capabilities/Capability/@Name)[1]'     ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS Capability_1
     ,LIC.DATA.value('(Capabilities/Capability/@Name)[2]'     ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS Capability_2
    FROM        @TXML.nodes('Order')                                   ORD(DATA)
    CROSS APPLY ORD.DATA.nodes('OrderInfo/Licensing/Licenses/License') LIC(DATA);

Output

AccountInfo_Name AccountInfo_CRMAccountId OrderInfo_CRMOrderId                  OrderInfo_Date OrderInfo_FulfillmentContactEmail OrderInfo_FCOrganizationalLevel LicenseId StartDate Capability_1 Capability_2
    ----------------- ------------------------ ------------------------------------- -------------- ---------------------------------- -------------------------------- ---------- ---------- ------------ ------------
    NewCustomerName   A021111                  S12345.A020739.12/17/2018 7:23:13 AM 2018-12-17     cathryncrane@gmail.com                                              L1111111 2017-10-12   Pull         Query
    NewCustomerName   A021111                  S12345.A020739.12/17/2018 7:23:13 AM 2018-12-17     cathryncrane@gmail.com                                              L1111123 2017-10-12   Push         Query
    NewCustomerName   A021111                  S12345.A020739.12/17/2018 7:23:13 AM 2018-12-17     cathryncrane@gmail.com                                              L111145  2017-10-12   Pull         Query

• Thank you SO MUCH!  That worked perfectly!

• So, now instead of using an XML Variable, can you use this with a table?  The data is in a table with an activation code associated with multiple licenses stored in the XML string.  I don't want to use a cursor.  I'm hoping I can just use the table.  I need to pull the first 2 columns with all the associated
    CREATE TABLE TBLA (
    OrderXML XML NULL
    )

I've tried replacing the @xml variable with the tablename with the crossapply and a join statement but I can't get it to work properly.

FROM   #TMPA ORD
    JOIN    #TMPA LIC ON ORD.ActivationCode = LIC.ActivationCode

It only gives me the 1st License again.

It should be:

CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId1
    CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId2
    CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId3

Thank you in advance

• OlyKLin - Thursday, December 27, 2018 11:17 AM

So, now instead of using an XML Variable, can you use this with a table?  The data is in a table with an activation code associated with multiple licenses stored in the XML string.  I don't want to use a cursor.  I'm hoping I can just use the table.  I need to pull the first 2 columns with all the associated
    CREATE TABLE TBLA (
    OrderXML XML NULL
    )

I've tried replacing the @xml variable with the tablename with the crossapply and a join statement but I can't get it to work properly.

FROM   #TMPA ORD
    JOIN    #TMPA LIC ON ORD.ActivationCode = LIC.ActivationCode

It only gives me the 1st License again.

It should be:

CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId1
    CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId2
    CompanyName, ActivationCode, LicenseId3

Thank you in advance

Are you using a permanent table or a temporary table?  Your post has both.

• I'm sorry - I'm pulling a subset of records into a Temporary Table.

So, the XML parsing is from the temporary table

• Here is a table example
    😎

USE TEEST;
    GO
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @TXML XML = '<ns1:Order xmlns:ns1="http://company.com/licensing/neworder/v2">
    </ns1:Order>';

DECLARE @TBLA TABLE
    (
      Customer   VARCHAR(100) NULL
     ,ActivationKey VARCHAR(100) NULL
     ,OrderXML   XML NULL
    );
    INSERT INTO @TBLA (Customer,ActivationKey,OrderXML)
    VALUES ('CUST_01','ABC123',@TXML);

;WITH XMLNAMESPACES (DEFAULT 'http://company.com/licensing/neworder/v2')
    SELECT
    TA.Customer
    ,TA.ActivationKey
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(AccountInfo/@Name)[1]'                 ,'VARCHAR(50)' ) AS AccountInfo_Name
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(AccountInfo/@CRMAccountId)[1]'         ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS AccountInfo_CRMAccountId
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@CRMOrderId)[1]'             ,'VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_CRMOrderId
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@Date)[1]'                   ,'DATE'        ) AS OrderInfo_Date
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@FulfillmentContactEmail)[1]','VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_FulfillmentContactEmail
    ,ORD.DATA.value('(OrderInfo/@FCOrganizationalLevel)[1]'  ,'VARCHAR(100)') AS OrderInfo_FCOrganizationalLevel
    ,LIC.DATA.value('@LicenseId'                             ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS LicenseId
    ,LIC.DATA.value('@StartDate'                             ,'DATE'        ) AS StartDate
    ,LIC.DATA.value('(Capabilities/Capability/@Name)[1]'     ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS Capability_1
    ,LIC.DATA.value('(Capabilities/Capability/@Name)[2]'     ,'VARCHAR(10)' ) AS Capability_2
    FROM  @TBLA TA  
    CROSS APPLY TA.OrderXML.nodes('Order')            ORD(DATA)
    CROSS APPLY ORD.DATA.nodes('OrderInfo/Licensing/Licenses/License') LIC(DATA);

• Thank you so much for all the help!

• OlyKLin - Friday, December 28, 2018 4:07 PM

Thank you so much for all the help!

You are very welcome.
    😎

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply