Query help

• Could you please help me solve a query problem:

For a given set of StoreGroup(s) or for all StoreGroup(s) find StoreGroups with matching Store.

Create table StoreGroup (

StoreGroup int,

Store int

)

insert into StoreGroup values

(1,1), --

(1,2), --

(1,3),

(2,4),

(2,5),

(2,6),

(3,7),

(3,2), --

(3,8),

(4,1), --

results:

• Can you explain a bit further?

• I think you can get it by Count() Over Partition as follows:

--Creating Table

StoreGroup int,

Store int

)

--Inserting Sample Data

(1,1),

(1,2),

(1,3),

(2,4),

(2,5),

(2,6),

(3,7),

(3,2),

(3,8),

(4,1)

--Query For Your Requirement

Select StoreGroup, Store From

(Select *, COUNT(*) Over (Partition By Store) as cnt From StoreGroup) As a

Where a.cnt > 1

Order By Store, StoreGroup

Hope it helps.

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• aostanley (5/21/2012)

Could you please help me solve a query problem:

For a given set of StoreGroup(s) or for all StoreGroup(s) find StoreGroups with matching Store.

StoreGroup int,

Store int

)

(1,1), --

(1,2), --

(1,3),

(2,4),

(2,5),

(2,6),

(3,7),

(3,2), --

(3,8),

(4,1), --

results:

By posting data in a format that you need 2008 or above for, you're cutting out some pretty hefty SQL Ninjas who may not have a 2008 machine accessible to help you with at the time they see your post. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SELECT a.StoreGroup,a.Store

FROM StoreGroup a

WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM StoreGroup b WHERE b.Store=a.Store AND b.StoreGroup<>a.StoreGroup)

ORDER BY a.Store,a.StoreGroup

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Select StoreGroup, Store From StoreGroup

Where Store in (Select Store from StoreGroup group by Store having count(StoreGroup) >1)

Order By Store, StoreGroup

• Jeff Moden (5/22/2012)

By posting data in a format that you need 2008 or above for, you're cutting out some pretty hefty SQL Ninjas who may not have a 2008 machine accessible to help you with at the time they see your post. 😉

Cannot believe it! Although Ninjas prefer using very traditional tools (swords, daggers and katanas), they usually have access to all new available technologies... May be you wanted to say SQL karate-kids?

:hehe:

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Eugene Elutin (5/22/2012)

Jeff Moden (5/22/2012)

Cannot believe it! Although Ninjas prefer using very traditional tools (swords, daggers and katanas), they usually have access to all new available technologies... May be you wanted to say SQL karate-kids?

And... this is a 2008 forum :w00t:

Just giving you a hard time Jeff 🙂

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• I want to express my appreciation to all of you who replied to my post.

I'm grateful to all of you for taking the time to offer your help.

• SQLKnowItAll (5/22/2012)

Eugene Elutin (5/22/2012)

Jeff Moden (5/22/2012)

And... this is a 2008 forum :w00t:

Just giving you a hard time Jeff 🙂

Unless you need a feature specific to SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2005 can still be used to help as well.

Just passing on the same here... :w00t:

• Eugene Elutin (5/22/2012)

Jeff Moden (5/22/2012)

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Now, thats funny.

An example of what I mean, though... We're still "stuck" on SQL Server 2005 at work. If I wanted to take a break at lunch and answer a question or two, I wouldn't be able to work with 2008-only data. I'd first have to convert it. I'm just not going to take the time to do that on a lunch break. A whole lot more people fall into this category than you might expect.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/25/2012)

An example of what I mean, though... We're still "stuck" on SQL Server 2005 at work. If I wanted to take a break at lunch and answer a question or two, I wouldn't be able to work with 2008-only data. I'd first have to convert it.

How on earth do you cope where sample data is provided in text form (as is quite often the case)?

I'm just not going to take the time to do that on a lunch break.

That's fine of course (there are plenty of other questions available), but I hardly think it's right to ask people posting in a 2008 forum to change *their code* for that reason. There are plenty of us running instances compatible with the forum we are in; even where that's not the case, it's not the end of the world to convert row constructors :w00t: to UNION ALL :sick:

• SQL Kiwi (5/26/2012)

Jeff Moden (5/25/2012)

An example of what I mean, though... We're still "stuck" on SQL Server 2005 at work. If I wanted to take a break at lunch and answer a question or two, I wouldn't be able to work with 2008-only data. I'd first have to convert it.

How on earth do you cope where sample data is provided in text form (as is quite often the case)?

I'm just not going to take the time to do that on a lunch break.

That's fine of course (there are plenty of other questions available), but I hardly think it's right to ask people posting in a 2008 forum to change *their code* for that reason. There are plenty of us running instances compatible with the forum we are in; even where that's not the case, it's not the end of the world to convert row constructors :w00t: to UNION ALL :sick:

I didn't ask anyone to change their code. I suggested that they're cutting out some people who might otherwise not have the time to do such a conversion. The same holds true for posting data provided in text form.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/26/2012)

I didn't ask anyone to change their code. I suggested that they're cutting out some people who might otherwise not have the time to do such a conversion. The same holds true for posting data provided in text form.

Fair enough.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply