Query Data Between Characters

• Hello,

I am trying to pull data out of a Varchar field that is surrounded by Chr(13). This data can sometimes have a period or comma in it so using something like PARSENAME(REPLACE(defendant_info,CHAR(13)+Char(10),'.'),2) AS defAdd will not work. Any ideas on how to pull that data using another method?

Thanks,

George

• Can you post some sample data? See the top link in my signature for suggestions on how.

• Jack Corbett (11/10/2009)

Can you post some sample data? See the top link in my signature for suggestions on how.

Please note that the first two lines have a HARD RETURN after them and that is where I need it separated.

defendant_info

---------------

RIGDON MILLER & CO REAL ESTATE

1936 SPRUCE ST

BRUNSON, MIRIAM

7238 SANSOM ST

SMITH, JAMES J

1600 JACKSON ST

MERTLE, JESSICA

205-15 ROCK ST

JOHNSON, KALI

9815 HALDENMAN AVE

PERSAND, GRACE

333 W ABBOTSFORD RD

LAW, ANTHONY

333 W ABBOTSFORD RD

My code so far looks as such and functions correctly but I cannot get the add field pulled out and inserted into defAdd. Also I will have to do the same thing with plaintiff_info but that data may or may not have 2 hard returns. It could have none, 1 or 2.

SELECT RecID, f_name, m_initial, l_name, combined_name, Court, plaintiff_info, JDate, defendant_info, revived_date, JAmt, DSN, CaseID, DocketTypeCode, jh_id, tdef_id, biannual_mainframe_id, excluded,

LEFT (defendant_info, CASE WHEN CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),defendant_info)>0 THEN CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),defendant_info) -1 ELSE LEN(defendant_info) END) AS def, defAdd, RIGHT (defendant_info, 5) AS defZip,

LEFT (defendant_info, CASE WHEN CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),plaintiff_info)>0 THEN CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),plaintiff_info) -1 ELSE LEN(plaintiff_info) END) AS tiff, tiffAdd,RIGHT (plaintiff_info, 5) AS tiffZip INTO allfixed

FROM copyofdefendantsAll

Thank you,

George

• Where does a row stop in your example data?

How do you want the data returned?

It looks like you could do a "simple" split to get it in rows and then a pivot if you wanted something like:

defendent_name address postal_code

Where does a row stop in your example data?

How do you want the data returned?

It looks like you could do a "simple" split to get it in rows and then a pivot if you wanted something like:

defendent_name address postal_code

The row is SQL looks like -- George Greiner CHR(13)CHR(10) 1234 Market Street CHR(13)CHR(10) Philadelphia, PA 19108

What I want to do is in a make table query drop the street address into defAdd. So in my table it would look like def, defAdd, defZip (not worried about city state in this one). In plaintiff_info it would look like tiff, tiffAdd, tiffCity, tiffState, tiffZip. The difference being we would have to notify the plaintiff so we need the full address and many times they do not have zip codes but rather just city / state but the defendant always has a zip code.

I wrote a query in Access to do this but it is too slow and quite cumbersome for my taste and hence why I am trying to do it in t SQL.

I actually tried using a split and a pivot but it did not work and I did not know enough about it to make adjustments to figure it out. It would not work if there were not ALWAYS 2 hard returns and it gives me a lot of nulls and I wanted to try something that I could understand better as my background is Access and the SQL used in Access.

• george here's one way to do it;

i'm using a function CHARINDEX2, which finds the Nth occurrance of a string within the string.

with that, i can find the first CrLf and the second CrLf, and STUFF what's between out of existance.

here's a working example:

/*

Example:

SELECT dbo.CHARINDEX2('a', 'abbabba', 3)

returns the location of the third occurrence of 'a'

which is 7

*/

CREATE FUNCTION CHARINDEX2

(

@TargetStr varchar(8000),

@SearchedStr varchar(8000),

@Occurrence int

)

RETURNS int

as

begin

declare @pos int, @counter int, @ret int

set @pos = CHARINDEX(@TargetStr, @SearchedStr)

set @counter = 1

if @Occurrence = 1 set @ret = @pos

else

begin

while (@counter < @Occurrence)

begin

select @ret = CHARINDEX(@TargetStr, @SearchedStr, @pos + 1)

set @counter = @counter + 1

set @pos = @ret

end

end

RETURN(@ret)

end

GO

Create Table #Example(LongAddress varchar(500) )

INSERT INTO #Example

SELECT 'RIGDON MILLER & CO REAL ESTATE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1936 SPRUCE ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19103' UNION ALL

SELECT 'BRUNSON, MIRIAM' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '7238 SANSOM ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19082' UNION ALL

SELECT 'SMITH, JAMES J' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1600 JACKSON ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19145' UNION ALL

SELECT 'MERTLE, JESSICA' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '205-15 ROCK ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19128' UNION ALL

SELECT 'JOHNSON, KALI' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '9815 HALDENMAN AVE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19115' UNION ALL

SELECT 'PERSAND, GRACE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144' UNION ALL

SELECT 'LAW, ANTHONY' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144'

SELECT STUFF(LongAddress,--field to fiddle with

--where to start: first occurance of CrLf

dbo.CHARINDEX2(CHAR(13) + CHAR(10),LongAddress,1),

--how many chars, the diff betweent he second and the first

dbo.CHARINDEX2(CHAR(13) + CHAR(10),LongAddress,2) - dbo.CHARINDEX2(CHAR(13) + CHAR(10),LongAddress,1),

--replace with empty string

'')

FROM #Example

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I think this code does something similar to what you want. It is a split then pivot which you said you tried. It assumes that you have 3 "rows" in your data:

DECLARE @table TABLE (defendant VARCHAR(MAX)) ;

INSERT INTO

@table (defendant)

SELECT

'George Greiner' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1234 Market Street' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + 'Philadelphia, PA 19108'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'RIGDON MILLER & CO REAL ESTATE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1936 SPRUCE ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19103'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'BRUNSON, MIRIAM' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '7238 SANSOM ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19082'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'SMITH, JAMES J' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1600 JACKSON ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19145'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'MERTLE, JESSICA' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '205-15 ROCK ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19128'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'JOHNSON, KALI' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '9815 HALDENMAN AVE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19115'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'PERSAND, GRACE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'LAW, ANTHONY' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144';

SELECT

IDENTITY(INT, 1, 1) AS def_id,

'|' + REPLACE(defendant, CHAR(13) + CHAR(10), '|') + '|' AS defendant

INTO #defendents

FROM

@table;

WITH cteTally AS

(

SELECT TOP 100

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) AS n

FROM

sys.all_columns C1 CROSS JOIN

sys.all_columns C2

)

SELECT

def_id,

Row_Number() OVER (PARTITION BY T.defendant ORDER BY TALLY.N) AS id,

SUBSTRING(T.defendant, N+1, CHARINDEX('|',T.defendant,N+1)-N-1) AS attribute

INTO #split

FROM

#defendents AS T CROSS JOIN

cteTally AS TALLY

WHERE

Tally.n < LEN(T.defendant) AND

SUBSTRING(T.defendant, tally.n, 1) = '|'

ORDER BY

T.defendant

SELECT

def_id,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 1 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS NAME,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 2 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS address,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 3 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS city_state_postal

FROM

(

SELECT

def_id,

id,

MIN(attribute) AS attribute

FROM

#split

GROUP BY

def_id,

id

) AS attribs

GROUP BY

def_id

DROP TABLE #split

DROP TABLE #defendents

Please also note how I provided the data in a consumable, testable format. Now anyone can test against it.

I think this code does something similar to what you want. It is a split then pivot which you said you tried. It assumes that you have 3 "rows" in your data:

DECLARE @table TABLE (defendant VARCHAR(MAX)) ;

INSERT INTO

@table (defendant)

SELECT

'George Greiner' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1234 Market Street' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + 'Philadelphia, PA 19108'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'RIGDON MILLER & CO REAL ESTATE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1936 SPRUCE ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19103'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'BRUNSON, MIRIAM' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '7238 SANSOM ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19082'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'SMITH, JAMES J' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '1600 JACKSON ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19145'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'MERTLE, JESSICA' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '205-15 ROCK ST' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19128'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'JOHNSON, KALI' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '9815 HALDENMAN AVE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19115'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'PERSAND, GRACE' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144'

UNION ALL

SELECT

'LAW, ANTHONY' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '333 W ABBOTSFORD RD' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + '19144';

SELECT

IDENTITY(INT, 1, 1) AS def_id,

'|' + REPLACE(defendant, CHAR(13) + CHAR(10), '|') + '|' AS defendant

INTO #defendents

FROM

@table;

WITH cteTally AS

(

SELECT TOP 100

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) AS n

FROM

sys.all_columns C1 CROSS JOIN

sys.all_columns C2

)

SELECT

def_id,

Row_Number() OVER (PARTITION BY T.defendant ORDER BY TALLY.N) AS id,

SUBSTRING(T.defendant, N+1, CHARINDEX('|',T.defendant,N+1)-N-1) AS attribute

INTO #split

FROM

#defendents AS T CROSS JOIN

cteTally AS TALLY

WHERE

Tally.n < LEN(T.defendant) AND

SUBSTRING(T.defendant, tally.n, 1) = '|'

ORDER BY

T.defendant

SELECT

def_id,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 1 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS NAME,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 2 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS address,

MIN(CASE

WHEN id = 3 THEN attribute

ELSE NULL

END) AS city_state_postal

FROM

(

SELECT

def_id,

id,

MIN(attribute) AS attribute

FROM

#split

GROUP BY

def_id,

id

) AS attribs

GROUP BY

def_id

DROP TABLE #split

DROP TABLE #defendents

Please also note how I provided the data in a consumable, testable format. Now anyone can test against it.

If I went this route would I run this query and then UPDATE my current table with the correct data?

Also is it possible only pull the zip code as opposed pull everything after the 2nd hard return? Along those same lines if there is not a second hard return and the data is as such George Greiner CHR(13) CHR(10) 19038 it puts the zip in the wrong field. I just am trying to test all outcomes.

Thanks you very much for this as it functions much much better than the other one I tried. I will go over the code provided and learn from it and how to adjust it as that is the way I learn the quickest anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply