Query accross databases

• I have a database which currently uses one SQL database and a linked Access database but is starting to under perform.

So my plan is to move the Access database to SQL server.

For logistical reasons it is probably going to be best to keep the access database separate in another SQL database on the same server but a number of queries run accross the two databases.

Is querying accross two databases on the same instance of an SQL server problematic? Will there be a performance trade off to having it all in the one DB?

• There is no problem running queries across two or more databases is not a problem and it will not be a peformance trade off.

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• If you're planning to do cross database queries, make sure you're not using application roles.

Also watch for broken ownership chains

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks, I don't think they will be issues.....

One of the databases will be shipped from the local site to the live web application (probably using DTS or backups / logs) and the other database maintains a log of activiy on the live web server itself.

Only the web application will actually use the two databases as a data reader / writer.

Another user / script will backup the web activity database.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply