Queries on Restoration

• Hi All,

The present backup strategy for production servers is as below

We have full backup of production DBs on daily basis i.e from (Lun to Lun copy). The RM tool makes a copy of datafiles and logfiles of database on media server. We have Tlog backup for every 15 mins on production Db which are backed up to tape by veritas netbackup tool.

In case of DB crash we will restore the Database using RM tool(by copying .mdf and .ldf files) and the we will apply Tlog backup files.

If we restore DB through replication manager tool, the DB will be in complete recovered state and we can not apply Tlog on fully recovered Database.

If this is situation there will be maximum data loss of 24hrs as next full backup is scheduled after 24 hrs.

Please let us know the Restoration steps for Production DBs .

• Looks like the restore of the full backup is being done WITH RECOVERY. In order to restore your transaction logs the full backup needs to be restored WITH NORECOVERY. Then each transaction log backup also restored WITH NORECOVERY until you are ready to restore the last transaction log backup where you restore WITH RECOVERY.

If this is being done using a third party tool then i would consult them.

Thanks

Chris

------------------------
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
    ------------------------
    Blog: http://sqlserver365.blogspot.co.uk/
    Twitter: @ckwmcgowan
    ------------------------

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply