QOD 2003-11-04

• Guess I misunderstood the question. We use [SMTP:user@mycompany.com] on our test SQL Server for notifications without a problem. I didn't set up the SQL mail, so maybe we have a 3rd party tool. I'll ask our admin when she gets back from vacation. I did find this in BOL:

E-mail name

Specify the e-mail address of the operator. If the display name or alias name is ambiguous, then specify a fully qualified e-mail name in square brackets. For example, you can use [SMTP:myfriend@mycompany.com]. Click the browse (...) button to search the SQL Server address book.

• More more more.. I never heard of this before. I was glad I answered correctly because I'd feel silly if I could really use this instead of writing my own solution.

renrob: Do you still have Outlook or some other (maybe non-Exchange) mail client installed?

Edited by - spongemagnet on 11/04/2003 09:51:08 AM

-Ken

• Any MAPI compliant mail client will work. Outlook is the cleanest and most supported though :(.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• Can someone either tell me or point me to some documentation on how to setup SQL Mail. On our network we have SQL 2000 running on a different server than our Exchange Server, and Active Directory is on another Server. I just can't figure out what the "profile" is that I need to setup the SQL Mail.

• BOL - Mail - SQL Mail. It gives you everything you'll need, both for creating the mail profile and for SQL.

Terry

Terry

• quote:

Do you still have Outlook or some other (maybe non-Exchange) mail client installed?

Yes, Outlook is installed. I guess you can tell that I'm a developer and not an administrator! 😉

• http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/contributions/37.asp seems to work fine without a MAPI profile.

sp_makewebtask also makes a hamfisted but effective SMTP sending tool.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply