programming within SELECT statement

• MMartin1 (3/8/2016)

Going deeper with the CROSS APPLY suggestion :

Consider something like this >

SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) / (SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) FROM Table) AS westCoastSalesAsA%OfTotal

FROM Table

WHERE someFilterColumn= 'west coast'

Could be done with something like ( I didnt totally check my syntax but the idea is )

SELECT SUM(t1.someNumberColumn) / (t2.totalSales) AS westCoastSalesAsA%OfTotal

FROM Table t1 CROSS APPLY

(SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) as totalSales FROM Table) as t2

WHERE t1.someFilterColumn= 'west coast'

It appears cleaner.

It's probably going to be more efficient to do the following, because it only requires one scan of the table.

SELECT SUM(CASE WHEN t1.someFilterColumn = 'West Coast' THEN t1.someNumberColumn END) / SUM(t1.someNumberColumn)

FROM Table t1

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (3/8/2016)

MMartin1 (3/8/2016)

Going deeper with the CROSS APPLY suggestion :

Consider something like this >

SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) / (SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) FROM Table) AS westCoastSalesAsA%OfTotal

FROM Table

WHERE someFilterColumn= 'west coast'

Could be done with something like ( I didnt totally check my syntax but the idea is )

SELECT SUM(t1.someNumberColumn) / (t2.totalSales) AS westCoastSalesAsA%OfTotal

FROM Table t1 CROSS APPLY

(SELECT SUM(someNumberColumn) as totalSales FROM Table) as t2

WHERE t1.someFilterColumn= 'west coast'

It appears cleaner.

It's probably going to be more efficient to do the following, because it only requires one scan of the table.

SELECT SUM(CASE WHEN t1.someFilterColumn = 'West Coast' THEN t1.someNumberColumn END) / SUM(t1.someNumberColumn)

FROM Table t1

Drew

I would do it that way also. This is just a quick scenario example I thought up (hence why I mentioned could be done this way) to illustrate programming within the SELECT statement that could be done with a set based approach using CROSS APPLY as had been suggested. It doesnt apply perfectly to my example as the best way... just a way.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply