Profiler kills performance

• Hello,

I have been using Profiler to create Trace files for later analysis via the Index wizard. However, running Profiler brings performance to its knees and we have to quickly kill the process, at which point performance returns to normal.

Do others have this same proble? Am I selecting too many options to record? What is the minimum that I should record to get a meaningful result?

Any comments mostwelcome.

Thank you

Colin

• Using Profiler should only add an additional 2% to your performance overhead. Check out the MSDN Webcast, Part 9 on Server-side Trace Queues. Also adding too many event/data columns can hurt performance, and you don't need most of them. Try excluding system IDs by excluding all objects ids less than 100 and new filter IsSystem = 0 for user, and you may try removing sp_%.

--Dave

• Make sure you are NOT running profiler on your database server. Run it on a workstation that has SQL Server client tools installed on it. Have you configured Profiler to save to a table? If so, again, don't save the data to your production database server. Save it off to a file and load it somewhere else or save it to a table on a non-production box.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks for the replies. I have been running the process on the server and saving the results to file. Will take on board the suggestions made and see if this results in an improvement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply