Productivity and Accountability

• phegedusich (3/7/2013)

So, is Yahoo going to drop offshore resources? Or do they have a facility in Bangalore where they can gather their employees?

They have offices all over. The requirement was that you work in a Yahoo office, any one, not necessarily the main one in Silicon Valley.

• G Bryant McClellan (3/7/2013)

Accountability is a huge factor in being granted the privilege. And except for outsourcing, it IS a privilege.

Yep, should be treated like that. You can't handle it, you lose the privilege.

BTW, this is no different than being in an office. Some people need the boss to come over multiple times a day to keep them on track, some don't. In the past we'd find slackers "moved" to within eyesight of the boss' desk in an office. Same thing here.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/12/2013)

paul.knibbs (3/7/2013)

I think there's another possible reason to not want to work from home. Speaking personally, I like to keep home and work in their own separate compartments--I'll work from home if I absolutely have to, but I really don't like doing it. If I had a large enough house to set up a room specifically for home working then it might be different, but since I don't, I keep them apart.

Perfectly valid, and a good reason. I'll tell you from my experience (and my wife), separating the two is hard. It's much harder to stop working than it is to get motivated to start.

I love working from home, but I have experienced the need to learn when to stop.

The other thing that I've run into is the expectation that I will be always available. I've had people call me late at night that wouldn't think of calling someone who worked in the office late.

I've had to learn to manage expectations.

It is a privilege. Because of that, I figure I should put in extra. But I've had to learn to set boundaries on myself and others.

• marcia.j.wilson (3/12/2013)

... The other thing that I've run into is the expectation that I will be always available. I've had people call me late at night that wouldn't think of calling someone who worked in the office late.

I've had to learn to manage expectations. ...

I can relate to this because I once worked with someone who expected everyone who worked from home to be available 24x7 because that was how he operated. I let him know that I didn't mind putting in a few extra hours and taking a few extra calls so that the privilege of working from home was also a privilege to the company but under no circumstances was I going to be available 24x7.

We had a great working relationship after that. The lines were drawn and the expectations managed. 😉

• They tend to assume this because for all they know you have been watching TV all day while you were on the computer connected remotely to the office., So, in their little minds you not have NOT really put in an "honest" days work. I know this is not always correct for all managers. but I am just pointing out the general mindset here. I have seen it too many times in the past from a lot of management over the years. If you are working from home, you got it easy as far as many managers are concerned. Therefore, contacting you at midnight shouldn't be a problem. Thats just the way many of them think. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (3/12/2013)

They tend to assume this because for all they know you have been watching TV all day while you were on the computer connected remotely to the office., So, in their little minds you not have NOT really put in an "honest" days work. I know this is not always correct for all managers. but I am just pointing out the general mindset here. I have seen it too many times in the past from a lot of management over the years. If you are working from home, you got it easy as far as many managers are concerned. Therefore, contacting you at midnight shouldn't be a problem. Thats just the way many of them think. 😀

Actually, I've had less problem from management than from co-workers. When I have had management call me in the evening, it usually has been something where there's a good reason to call me out of hours.

Working in IT, I don't expect to work just 8 to 5. There are times when I expect to be called out-of-hours.

• marcia.j.wilson (3/12/2013)Working in IT, I don't expect to work just 8 to 5. There are times when I expect to be called out-of-hours.

Well of course, I do too. However, that was not the point of my post. it was the mindset I was referring to that alot of people (particularly managers) have about people working remotely. At least in my 25 years of experience anyway.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• marcia.j.wilson (3/12/2013)

<snip/>The other thing that I've run into is the expectation that I will be always available. I've had people call me late at night that wouldn't think of calling someone who worked in the office late.<snip/>.

You've gotta love the late night calls along with the "I know it's 10pm but I also know you like to start early so you have plenty of time to..."

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Personally, I do find I actually get more done when working at home - there are far more distractions in the office than at home, where I can just steam ahead with what I need to do. And getting the dog out into the countryside for my lunch break makes a nice welcome change and clears my mind better than being stuck in the middle of a boring business park!

Having said that, I prefer being in the office for the simple reason that I like to keep my work and home lives seperate. However, on the odd occassion when I need to work at home, it is good to know that the opportunity is there.

As to Yahoo's decision, it was bad management that has got them into a bad position, looks like they want to start amending that position with another bad management decision!

• Sean of the Lynchmob (3/26/2013)

As to Yahoo's decision, it was bad management that has got them into a bad position, looks like they want to start amending that position with another bad management decision!

Well said.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply