Problems doing Backup with SQL 2005

• Hello,

Only in one server I have this problem:

Doing backup to a maped hard drive on the network I'm getting 2 kinds of errors:

1-A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "*.bak:" 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

2- failed 121 (the semaphore timeout period has expired)

Any ideas how to fix it?

thanks

• Drop and recreate the device let us know if the issue persists

• I did couple times try to map to another drive and nothing, it just do a backup to local drive...

• Create a new device..

Go to Server Objects

Right click on backup devices

New backup device

give the device a name

\\enter path name for new device

Then run a backup .

Alternatively there is a handy sp_addumpdevice from books online

with examples

Also check the drive in question for errors

• Is the server you are having problems with on Windows 2003 and the others on Windows 2000?  The way map drives work changed drasticaly between the two.

• It's windows 2003, what is the way to map the drive then??

• My experience is not to use mapped drives.  In your backup statement use the fully qualified name.  i.e. \\servername\sharelocation .

I got the a directory called backups on the M drive on my backups server shared as Backups.  My backup location from my sql servers then are \\backupserver\Backups\

I also use seperate folders for each database so also tag on the database name on that.

Hope that helps.

• Nelson Viggiani (3/5/2007)

1-A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "*.bak:" 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

thanks

I know that this is a long time ago, but I thought I'd record my experiences on this. I got this error and went through the whole loop of investigating the database for errors. It was NOTHING to do with SQL Server. Some engineer had started taking the RAID apart without actually telling anyone, like me, about the lose of service to the database. Just to remind people that it's quite likely to not be a SQL Server issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I refuse to deny that there might be an invisible rhinoceros behind the waste paper basketBertrand Russell

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply