Problem with NULL value

• Hi Friends,

I have a small query.

I have two variables which stores float values.

I need to subtract 2nd variable from the first variable.

Sometimes, the first or the second variable may be NULL.

So, if I subtract the variable with the NULL value, NULL value is returned as ouput.

I don't want this to happen.

For example, NULL - 2 should return -2.

1 - NULL should return 1.

How to do this.

Plz help me this is urgent.

Thanks all.

• You can use the ISNULL function to return a 0 if the value is null.

Select ISNULL(val1,0) - ISNULL(val2,0)

• the ISNULL function substitutes a value in place of the variable or column if it is null:

SELECT ISNULL(@Variable1,0.00) - ISNULL(@Variable2,0.00)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you friends for your fast reply.

It worked. Thanks. 🙂

• Another alternative to the ISNULL function is the COALESCE function; both will work. In addition, COALESCE will also work with both DB2 and Oracle.

• Thank you friend.

• Kent Waldrop (1/21/2009)

Another alternative to the ISNULL function is the COALESCE function; both will work. In addition, COALESCE will also work with both DB2 and Oracle.

In SQL Server, COALESCE is slower than ISNULL... granted, it takes a lot of operations to see the difference, but in certain instances (like concatenation) the speed differences show up quickly.

Of course, there's the myth of code portability that a lot of folks still believe in. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply