Problem with moving database to 2008r2 server with login errors

• I moved a database with no problems. I created a new login (as they wanted a new login and not to move the old one). This new login is getting denied from an ODBC connection with the error log showing error 18456, sev 14, state 8.

I reentered the password in SQL just to make sure I did not fat finger it, still no go. I connected from excel with the same password with no problems and was prompted two times before the data showed up and I could see all the data. However, the error log showed two of the same error. I tried in excel putting in a different password and was not allowed to see data and brought back to the login, but still got the same error in the error log. I checked for orphaned users, there are none.

Any ideas?

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• The error indicates it’s a password mismatch. Create ODBC DSN once again and try it freshly.

• It is not a DSN, that works fine. This is a data connection in Excel. It takes the information just fine and shows the data, but the log entry is there in the SQL Server log.

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply