Problem with log shipping on MS-SQL 2005

• Hi,

I set up log shipping on my workstation(s) (Win XP, SQL Server 2005, SE, Service Pack 2) and it worked immediately (using the wizard after creating the backups and shares).

Now I tried to do the same on our test-environment (Win 2003 Server, SQL Server 2005, EE Service Pack 2) and nothing happend using the wizard. No errormessage, it tells that the action was successful. But there are no jobs and no entries in the log-shipping-tables. I created the script within the wizard and tried to execute it, but it reported something like: "database ... does not exists as log shipping primary". Then I took the first statement in the script (master.dbo.sp_add_log_shipping_primary_database) and it returns 1 for failure, but I don't get any further information what's going wrong. Could anybody help me to find my problem? Or just give me a tip what else to try.

Thanks in advance

Helmut

• Hi,

now I found out the solution for my problem, maybe this helps someone:

The machine is located on a virtual server and is just a copy of another server image. That headed to a problem of the SQL-Server name (not instance name!)

SELECT @@servername returns NULL in my case.

with

sp_dropserver 'servername'

sp_addserver @server='servername', @local='local'

and a restart of SQL-Server service

@@servername contains the correct server name and log shipping works perfectly.

Keep on coding

Helmut

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply