problem with indexes and Index Tuning Wizard

• Hello.

I've encountered a problem on our SQL-SERVER 2k standard edition (SP4).

I have a database in which the SQL Server won't use indexes in the execution plan and the index tuning wizard won't recommend any indexes.

Even a simple query as follows is causing a slow performance:

SELECT *

FROM myTable

WHERE Rec_Date='2009-1-1'

The same query on a different database uses index and the index tuning wizard does recommend the correct index, even after I dropped all the indexes, including the primary keys on both databases and used about the same size tables.

So I created a new database and copied 2 of the tables to the new db (with creation of new tables and INSERT), using only primary keys . There was a slight "improvement" of the ITW with the new database, but still the ITW didn't recommend what seemed to me the right indexes for joined update queries or suggested a 10 columns index for a simple join select.

The tables look something like that:

Table A:

Row_ID int identity (clustered primary key)

Rec_Date datetime

Sale_Number int

Item_Code nvarchar(15)

Item_Price ....

and so on about 10 columns with 85 mil rows.

Table B:

Sale_Date datetime

Item_Code nvarchar(15)

Item_Cost float

about 20 mil rows, the primary key (clustered) consists from Sale_Date and Item_Code

I've checked almost anything I could think of, including same data types with the joined queries, the use of variable, updated statistics

any suggestions?

Thank you,

Doron

• Most likely it's because the index isn't covering and there's too many rows returned for an index seek + bookmark lookups to be optimal.

See - http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/01/09/seek-or-scan/

If you want more specific suggestions, please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail.

I've read the posting rules, but as I mentioned in the original post, the behavior of the SQL Server changes from database to database on the same tables (definition and content).

For example, Lets take this simple table:

CREATE TABLE [Customer] (

[club] [varchar] (10) NULL ,

[CustomerID] [varchar] (20) NULL ,

[createdate] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[initstore] [varchar] (20) NULL ,

[gender] [varchar] (10) NULL ,

[firstname] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[lastname] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[lastupdate] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[mobile] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[phone] [varchar] (50) NULL ,

[varchar] (100) NULL ,

[address] [varchar] (150) NULL ,

[towncity] [varchar] (100) NULL ,

[street] [varchar] (100) NULL ,

[housenumber] [varchar] (10) NULL

)

It's about 300K rows, no primary key and no indexes.

Lets run the following query in the ITW :

SELECT *

FROM Customers

WHERE CustomerID='012776'

Now, in the problematic database I'm getting no index recommendation at all from the ITW.

The same query on the same table on a different database (smaller in total size) will result with the recommendation to create an index on the CustomerID column.

So I presume that table size doesn't matter here and probably something else is interfering.

Thanks,

Doron

• Honestly, I don't trust IDW and I don't use ITW. This is one of the reasons. Some other people have mentioned much the same behaviour with the 2005 DTA. I much prefer to tune indexes by hand.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply