Problem when copying from a table into another table

• Hi All.I have a wired situation here.

I have 2 tables: table 1 with let say 5 records on it and an empty table2 (same schema), Trying to copy records from table1 into table2. When my script says(i am trying to make my script simple)

with x as

(select * from table1

)

insert into table2

some of the records are missing. Let's say records 1 and 3 are missing.

when the same script says

(select * from table1

where records in (1,3)

)

insert into table2

1 and 3 records are getting inserted

how is this possible?

• Correction:

with x as

(select * from table1

)

insert into table2

select * from x

some of the records are missing. Let's say records 1 and 3 are missing.

when the same script says

(select * from table1

where records in (1,3)

)

insert into table2

select * from x

• It really isn't clear what problem you are having - but I am assuming the issue is that you are getting duplicates.  If that is the case it is because table2 does not have anything set to block duplicates.  You would need a unique constraint on the table definition to prevent duplicate rows from being inserted.

The code you have provided doesn't check for the rows that already exist - so as long as there are no constraints then SQL will just insert the rows as instructed.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• no duplicates. With the first script, I am trying to get all 5 records, but getting only 3 of them. With the second script, I am trying to see if I can insert the missing 2 records.2nd script inserts the missing records. My question is why script 1 could not get all records?

• Can you provide some code that demonstrates the problem, which we can run for ourselves?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply