Problem using Log Shipping in Standby method

• Hello all,

Please let me know how can I use read-only database, which is participated in Log Shipping to off load reports. It's not possible to map users in database to related logins in SQL.

Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sanaz.

• two ways - use a windows authenticated id or use sp_helprevlogin script to transfer the logins to the standby, then the sids will still match.

note - the load tran log job will fail if any connections to the standby database when it runs so specify the kill connections option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Personal point of view.

You may have to map login info, then reset the database backup to readonly status.

• Hi,

if you map users to logins, which is a writing operation, the lsn-chain for the next log shipment will be broken and you have to initiate logshipping again.

If you want to create offline reports i would recommend doing a nightly restore to a second database, where you can map users to logins and then create your reports. This next restore will then overwrite this db...

regards

karl

Best regards
    karl

• Hi All,

Thank you so much for all replies.

As a matter of fact, I made a big mistake regarding user creation in the secondary server. I had created the same users in secondary server without pay attention to SID. Now I have transfer login with SP_HELP_REVLOGIN, configured log shipping and every th9ing works fine.

Best Regards,

Sanaz.

• Note that in log shipping when the log file is being restored you will not be able to read the data as the restore will acquire a exclusive lock in the database.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply