Problem seeing remote SQL Server 2005

• Hi,

I've just installed SQL Server 2005 Standard and also SP1 onto two machines both in the same domain.  I can see each instance from the other and am able to see my live SQL 2000 instance from within the domain.  However when I try to attach to either instance of SQL Server 2005 from an existing SSIS installation on my local desktop I get the following error. 

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

I have gone through SQL surface manager and switched everything on that I can.  TCP/IP and Named Pipes have been enabled and I've started and stopped the SQL Servers.  I am able to ping the ip addresses of the two new machines.  They are listening on port 1433 (my existing SQL Server 2005 installation is listening on port 1644 - I assume because I am already running SQL 2k on that box).

Can anyone think what I may be missing?  The windows firewall is switched off on both machines I am trying to connect to.

I have had a hunt around here to see if there are any solutions and as far as I can see I've done all the things so far suggested.

Thanks for you help.

S

• I would try if you can create an ODBC source from your workstation using named Pipes. It will show you if you can connect at all. Your error message talks about Named Pipes connection (this is port 445). The fact that you can ping both machines does not mean your network admin keeps port 445 open on the network. In the command prompt do (replacing the machinename for your server name):

telnet machinename 445

If you can connect on port 445 then you will see the black window in the command prompt. If you can not, then you will see the error message. Similar try 1433 instead of 445

You can also create a Client Network Utility alias on your workstation with TCP/IP, not Named Pipes and try using this alias from SSIS

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• have you tried turning on the SQL Browser service?

• As far as i can see the SQL Browser service is running on the server. There is an instance of SQL Server 2005 Standard and an instance of SQL Server 2005 Express.  But only one SQL Browser.

Is this relevant?

i am quite confused.

S

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply