Problem Preculiar with setting up DB Mirroring

• I have Principal and Mirror Servers. Both are identical by SQL2008 R2 with SP1 applied.

More than 50 databases are mirrored between these two and working fine.

A new database is created at the principal and i am trying to mirror the new database.

While completing the mirror setup i receive the message stating "The Command failed because the database mirror is busy, Resiisue the command Later".

Shockingly the mirroring is not set for the new database. And noticed there is an entry in the sys.database_mirroring table for the new database. I tried to delete the database at the Mirror Server and created the database again with no_recovery option.

Any idea and solution much appreciated.

• Safe to assume 64-bit? How many CPUs assigned to SQL Server? How much RAM?

Worker Thread Recommendations for SQL 2012. I couldn't find any guidance on SQL 2008 R2, but you may be bumping into a limit with 50 mirrored databases. Each mirroring sessions requires 10 worker threads. Any reason why you did not choose Clustering? I am not sure Mirroring was meant to scale up to that number of databases per instance.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I would say it depends on the size of the databases and the amount of activity on each database.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2012)

I would say it depends on the size of the databases and the amount of activity on each database.

As to...

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Yes it is a 64 bit. 8 CPUs are already added and 58GB RAM.

• Due to cost base Clustering is not inplace as of now. in future we will be having clustering aswell.

• That's a good paper. All the reading I have done and my experience with mirroring tells me it is not very good at scaling up to those levels. It is worth reading Robert Davis' (author Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring comment on the sqlcat blog posting, and Sanjay's response. Here too is Robert's companion/response post:

The Toilet Analogy … or Why I Never Recommend Increasing Worker Threads[/url]

--Plato

• thats really good article. i will see the worker thread allocated and monitor how it goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply