Problem in connecting remote server

• Hi all,

I have installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on 3 of my systems as below.

1) Web Server(ie. 11.11.11.11) - Win 2003

2) Local machine (ie. Client-1) - Win XP

3) Laptop (ie. Client-2) - Win XP

Now, I am able to connect SQL Server of my web server from SSMS at my local machine, ie. Client-1. But, I am not able to connect it via SSMS (or any other way) from my laptop, ie. Client-2.

I have checked,

- Firewall on Laptop in turned off.

- Permission to SQL User is given as same as admin.

- Web server can connect remotely (it can already connected by Client-1).

- I am not able to connect to sql server instance on web server by any other way. I am getting error as below

[DBNETLIB][ConnectoinOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exists or access denied.

Do am I missing anything?

"Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits"

• HI,

When you connect through ur laptop,

did you find the SQL server Connection of the web server when you browse network Servers?

GaNeSH

• No, i m not.

If i could able to get my web server on my Network server list, then i think there wont be any problem... 😉

• oh..k

so..u r not able to find sql server of webserver on ur laptop SSMS network servers right?

GaNeSH

• so..u r not able to find sql server of webserver on ur laptop SSMS network servers right?

Yeah... nor i m able to find it in server list for sql server oledb provider in .udl application.

• Hi all,

Earlier i was forget to mention that I am facing this problem in SQL Server 2008; and as this is forum list for SS2K5, i should not hv to be here; but i will remain here just to avoid conflict in questioning.

Sincerely,

Kruti

• locally where the the express edition is installed and is in question, can you open the configuration wizard and enable the Protocols (TCP/IP). then try to connect:

LEt me know if you do not understand what i mean....

• Hi Mani,

TCP/IP protocol is already enabled.

My web server is located some where in USA, and I am trying to connect to SQL Server on my web server from my laptop from India.

• Dear All,

my problem has been solved. These were the coz of problem.

1) The default port 1433 was disabled due to policy changed and dynamic port 1477 was enabled.

2) The TCP/IP protocol settings was enabled, but in 'IP Addresses' tab, particular IP was 'Active', but NOT 'Enabled', so make it 'Enabled'.

3) Allow your client to connect with port 1477 (in connection string, {server}\{instance name},1477 OR {server ip address}\1477). Here port 1477 is dynamic port, which sql server take dynamically on startup. You can fix it with any other open port in TCP/IP protocol properties.

🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply