Problem connecting to remote SQL Server 2005

• I'm trying to connect to a remote SQL Server (2005) located in US, from SQLEXPRESS on my pc in UK. However i keep getting the following error.

--------------------------------------

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL server 2005 this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, Error: 26 - Error locating server/instance specified)

-------------------------------------

Actually i bought web server space from a US company to host my web application. To create the database and data restore i need to connect to their SQL Server, but it keeps showing up the error message whenever i try. And i learned from the US company that there are no firewalls from their end and everything is configured perfect so that remote clients can connect to thier server. They also say that many people who are hosting web applications on their servers could connect to thier SQL server from different parts of the world with out any problems. Why i can't connect. Do i need to do any settings on my PC.. Please help

i'm trying in the following way

Address : Ip Address\instance name

SQL server authentication

User id :

Password :

Hope the problem description is clear.

Thanks

Srini

I spent hours together in figuring out what the problem is, but no success.

• Hello,

Can you successfully Ping the IP Address from your PC?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Yes, i could successfully ping the IP Address

• Hello,

Can you try specifying the Port in the connection string i.e. Ip-Address\instance-name,NNNN

(Where NNNN is the Port that the ISP's SQL Server Instance is listening on. BTW - I am assuming the Named Instance is configured to listen on a Static Port?)

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• Check for Browser Service running on both SQL Servers...

Also, the Remote connection are allowed on both servers.

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• thanks John and marsh for your suggestions, However I'm awaiting for the port number from the hosting company, they haven't given me the port number initially. They say everybody else could connect to their respective database with the credentials they supplied. They argue that they could connect successfully to my database from one of their test machines using the same credentials they sent me. I don't know why i can't do it from my machine.

Once i get the port number i'll try again and post the results here...

• Hi aries76,

Normally port number is 1433 but sometime they changed the port number for the security reasons. Also if you have a dedicated server then you might need to check in SQL 2005 surface area configuration. Under service and Connections, you need to change Local and remote connection.

Also you can check the port number in SQL Server Config Manager/SQL 2005 Network Configuration/Protocols for MSSQLServer/TCP/IP properties.....

I hope it might help.

Leo

• Hello,

Is their test machine inside their Firewall?

Do you have a Firewall on your machine? If so, when you get the Port Number from them, you need to ensure that the Port is open on your machine. If the ISP is using Dynamic Ports (hopefully they are not) then you will need to ensure all possible Ports are open.

BTW - 1433 is not the default Port Number for a Named Instance, which is what I believe you are trying to connect to.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• When you say that you are connecting using SQL Express, do you mean Management Studio Express? I'm not sure, but I think I remember that having trouble connecting to servers running higher versions of SQL Server. I could be wrong about that, but try connecting with a full version of Management Studio. (You can get that with either SQL Dev Edition, or with a trial download of SQL Server Enterprise. Might be other ways as well, those are just the first two I thought of.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply