Problem calling a Non-Deterministic UDF in a Select Statement

• I have a UDF (calculate business hours) that calls another UDF (get start and end of business hours per day) within it.  SQL Server lists them both as non-deterministic.

This works:

DECLARE

@x as int

Exec @x = fnCalcBusHours 1, 1, '8/31/2004 10:18:30 PM', '9/5/2004 4:23:35 PM'

PRINT

@x

This doesn't work:

select

Incident_Number, fnCalcBusHours(Cust_Id, Service_Id, open_time, close_time) from tablename

I need to return compliance based on business hours for several select statements which are bound to reports.  Will post a larger section of code on request, but I'm pretty sure someone will be able to see my problem without it.  Looks like I'm violating rules somewhere, but I don't know how to fix.  Also tried same code in sproc form instead of udf and get this error:  'spCalcBusHours' is not a recognized built-in function name.

• pretty much all functions have to be preceeded by the owner (usually dbo.)

this will work:

select Incident_Number, dbo.fnCalcBusHours(Cust_Id, Service_Id, open_time, close_time) from tablename

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Tried that but it didn't work.  Get this error: 

sg 557, Level 16, State 2, Line 1       Only functions and extended stored procedures can be executed from within a function.

Also tried the same with a stored procedure version and get this:

Cannot find either column "dbo" or the user-defined function or aggregate "dbo.spCalcBusHours", or the name is ambiguous.

Search on sys.objects can find both:

fnCalcBusHours 1495676376 NULL 1 0 FN SQL_SCALAR_FUNCTION

spCalcBusHours 1527676490 NULL 1 0 P  SQL_STORED_PROCEDURE

Any other suggestions?  Again, I can post all the code if it will help. 

• does this return a value? this should do the same thing you did when assigning it to the @x variable.

SELECT dbo.fnCalcBusHours( 1, 1, '8/31/2004 10:18:30 PM', '9/5/2004 4:23:35 PM')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Same error:

Msg 557, Level 16, State 2, Line 1       Only functions and extended stored procedures can be executed from within a function.

I think technically it should work fine.  But it will only run under EXEC and not through SELECT, even if you provide specific values instead of variables.  I can send you the code for both functions involved if it will help, but I don't want to post it here b/c it is rather lengthy.  Please let me know.  (by the way, your quote is great for my problem )

• based on the error messge, it sounds like the function is calling a sotred proc in it's body; if you want to send me a priv message witht eh function in it i'd be glad to look at it.

Lowell

• Yes, that's correct.  I have dynamic-sql in the 2nd function, which from what I can find is not allowed.  This is irritating b/c 1/2 the people on the web say 'oh yeah - you can do that' when the reality is you can't.

Dymanic SQL cannot be used in a function.

I don't want to waste your time, so I'll go back to the drawing board.  I'll msg you private later if I can't get anywhere.  thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply