Print in DTS Package

• Hi All

Does somebody know as to how to use print statements in a DTS packages.

I need to use this as i want to put some print statements in between commands and then debug the DTS package as to where it is failing.

Thank you for your Help.

Regards

Hari

• well you cannot view the print resutls with a DTS package as i know. Why can't you juse seperate out the SQL task (i assume you were trying to put a print statement in a SQL task) and run it on query analyser with print statements.

if that's impossible because that task depends on some other tasks you can create a SP which will insert a record into a log table each time when you call it and use this sp where ever you want to log some message inside your SQL task to see what's going on.

This is just a thought may not help in your situation.

• Depending on what kind of code you're talking about:

If it's a SQL Task, I would use the QA to debug it.

If it's ActiveX Script, I debug in MS Visual Basic.  Since there are differences between VB and VB Script, I first write and parse in the ActiveX control, and then I copy to VB for line by line debugging.

• If you don't have access to VB and it is an ActiveX Script you can use the MsgBox to display values at given points.

• To do that last one requires SQL2K or better, because earlier versions don't have the ability to execute a step.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply