Prevent outsource user copy data

• Hello everybody,

We have outsource company whom given a privilege to access one of the database as an owner. What should I do to make sure that the user does not copy the data (one table or the whole database).

I look forward to hearing from you

• Removing the "owner" privs is the only way... unless you encrypt everything.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• They need to have privilege to view, update,create table...etc. This outsource company is the developer of one of the software we have and they need to access the database for maintenance reason. I just want a trick to make sure that our data does not copy and transfer to them location.

is there any idea?

• Understood... I don't think there's a trick to do this or monitor this in 2k... if they can view the data, they can copy the data.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• You've made them 'owners' of the data. That means it is their data also as far as SQL Server is concerned.

-SQLBill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply