precautions to be taken

• what precautions to be taken while restoring the database from development to production?

replies are appreciated

• I remember this question was asked couple of days back and the poster had asked what was the need of restoring dev data to prod and what will happen to the prod data?

Pradeep Singh

• Hi pradeep ,

iam new in production side , i want to know the measures .

reply is appreciated

• If you clarify more on your requirements, someone would definately help you out. From what u've written, all i can say is take backups of both databases in case something goes wrong. But my questions in previous post still remains...

Pradeep Singh

• Why are you restoring a development database to production?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • since we ve requirement that the dev server is gng to decomission soon .. so any measurements to be taken while restoring to production

• ramyours2003 (7/2/2009)

since we ve requirement that the dev server is gng to decomission soon .. so any measurements to be taken while restoring to production

Do you mean to say that since your developement server is going to be decommissioned, you want to move all your databases residing on dev box to prod box? does this also mean that all databases coming from dev box will be different from what's present on prod box? can you elaborate more in more number of sentences on your scenario?

Pradeep Singh

• ramyours2003 (7/2/2009)

what precautions to be taken while restoring the database from development to production?

:w00t: A signed job offer letter from other employer would easy the pain. 😀

Is the plan to run both "development" and "production" in the same host?

If the answer is Yes and you are going to do it anyway install a second -named instance of SQL Server in the box and put development there.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I'm with PaulB's suggestion !

Keep prod and dev data on separate instances !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (7/2/2009)

Keep prod and dev on different servers!

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • When you move Dev database to PROD server ....

1. Take out all unneccessary db objects (Temp tables, sps ...) from DEV DB

2. Shrink the DEV DB, take full db backup and restore on PROD server with unique name (dont overright the existing PROD DB)

3. Analyze who are the users to access the database on PROD (Developers shoud not have access on PROD etc)

4. Also check, is there any LINKED Server / Remote server connections using to access the data in SPS. So that you can change the code accordingly OR point to right PROD servers

5. Make sure PROD DB recovery model should be FULL

6. In case you are migrating from SQL 2000 --- 2005 use upgrade wiz and analyze the issues.

7. next think for backup plan

Regards

SRI

• s007reddy (7/2/2009)

When you move Dev database to PROD server ....

Lovely 😀

Post pretty much rubber stamps a big approval on this; that's wrong -it might lead inexperienced people to believe this is something acceptable, which is not. Seriously.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

ALZDBA (7/2/2009)

Keep prod and dev on different servers!

Whenever possible indeed !

OP stated

..dev server is gng to decomission soon ..

I know it is a lame management excuse, but still management decides !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply