Powershell Script to verfiy showplan enabled on SQL Server 2012

• I am looking for a sample PowerShell script that allows me to verify that showplan is enabled for a user on a SQL Server 2012 instance. Haven't figured out how to code it.

• well, start at SQL first.

do you want to test implied/inferred permissions, or just explicitly granted permissions?

sysadmin, or anyone in a db_owner roles would of course have showplan permissions in the database in question, and then you can test for explicitly added permissions where someone rant GRANT SHOWPLAN TO [mydomain\myuser]

also, showplan is inherited if somone was granted ALTER TRACE, or VIEW SERVER STATE as well.

what if someone granted showplan to a role the user happens to be in? or a nested role within a role?

there's lots of permissions scripts out in the scripts section, i'd dig through there instead of reinventing the wheel, and then i could call that script via powershell.

the place to start is mapping what permissions youa re after...just explicitygrants, or implied/inherited as well.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I wanted to test the explicitly granted showplan permissions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply