Power BI Week

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Power BI Week

• I am looking forward to an opportunity, or rather a need, to experiment with it. I have only heard good things (when people accept certain limitations).

Unfortunately, it resides on a long list of technologies to look at and, contrary to many peoples' experiences I hear, I have yet to recently have a client that is interested in Big Data (or large data set analysis).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Quite a few people have been concerned that the development of tools like Power BI mean that there is less of a need for IT staff. I find myself thinking quite the opposite. There will always be data quality issues with something like Power BI, and there is a certain level of programming to build more complex reports. Not to mention the refresh and update process is slow, which can make the tool feel cumbersome.

I agree with this. I think a lot of people misunderstand what a lot of us do and where we work. Building sexy reports is on the front-end. We work on the back-end. Our jobs mostly consist of supporting that front-end.

Sure, there are a bunch of us who work on both ends. I do because I work primarily with the analytics team. However, my job is to create the infrastructure and foundation for these guys to be self service. If you can't do that, then you're really severely hindering the team to do what they need to do because you are the bottleneck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply