Porting entire Oracle9i schemas to SqlServer 2000 or 2005

• I'm looking for input from any DBAs who have successfully copied whole Oracle Schemas (tables, indexes, views, etc) from Oracle 9i to SqlServer 2000 or 2005.  I realize there are some Oracle objects that don't translate directly to SqlServer 2000, but if you have used a shareware or vendor tool to accomplish this task, I'm very interested in hearing about successful experiences and the toolkit(s).  Thanks!

• I have used Visio 2003 for Enterprise Architects, be aware that even with 2003 in the name, it is actually Visio 2002. This is part of the Visual Studio .NET 2003 for Enterprise Architects.

You can build the model from your Oracle databases and then change the default server type to SQL Server 7 or 2000, which will convert most datatypes.

Plus it allows you to tweak these data types generate new databases, etc.

As far as data conversion, I simply created transfer scripts to varchar stage tables and then transformed the data as required into the new databases.

There may be better tools available, it has been some time since I have looked.

Andy

• H!!,

While migrating from Oracle to SQL server for you have to  follow the  steps.

1) take out the table creation script from oracle and change the syntax and  datatypes accordingly

2) after creating the tables enforce  primary key and identity in SQL server

3) port the data from SQL server to Oracle using DTS of SQL server

4) Create all Foreign ,unique  key constraints and indexes 

5) Create the views ( some functions like decode should be changed while migrating)

plz revert if you have further issues ..at present I'm not using any tools for migration erything is done mannualy....

regards,

Vinod (DBA )

HTC Global Services

• Check out Microsoft's SSMA (SQL Server Migration Assistant):

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/migration/facilitatingdatabasemigration.mspx

I have not used it.  Looks cool if it works.  Should have a free download.

Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply