PLease help after accidental uninstall

• Dave

Have you ever made a backup of any of those databases that we are talking about? The Master, MSDB, or the Accounting Database?

SQL Server database is very technical, that is why you need to know what you have and take proper backups of these databases. Computers themselves are technical. Sorry to beat up on you this morning. I know that does not help.

You may have you cut your loses and come to the conclusion that the data is gone, if you are not able to do this yourself. Or you can hire someone to try and find these databases that may or may not still be on your drive. I guess it kind of depends on how valuable your data is to you. Have you searched the drive for any and all mdf files?

That will tell you right away if you have any chance of a recovery. Or if you have taken databases backups, which it sounds as if you have not.

I just have to ask... were you running low on drive space? or what?

In the future, when you install SQL once again, make certain that you take backups of all your databases that you create. Backup the Master and MSDB anytime that you make a change to a database, like add a user. The users are stores in the master database. I doubt that you are using SSIS or DTS, so you do not have to worry that much about the MSDB database. But take one backup of it at least. There are tools in SQL that will do this for you, and you can schedule it thru SQL Server to fire off when ever you need

Andrew SQLDBA

• C'mon, this is Express edition installed by an app probably. Who would ever know there are any databases to back up there? The app should take care of it. It should be able to reinstall the engine and possibly even attach existing user database if it is written properly.

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• Hi

I do apologise for my lack of knowlege . I realise this makes your task all the harder. I have tried searching for the files you speak about but cant find them. I have tried using the search feature with windows 7 and typing .bak etc but I dont think it is actually searching for the extensions and is only bringing up files with bak in the title.

I do have backups of my accounting and my business contact manager but like I have described earlier these will not work with their respective programs due to the database problems.

Thanks again for all your help

• You don't have to apologize David, I bet you have knowledge many of us here have no clue about. One cannot know everything. 🙂

Regarding your problem the most important thing is that you have the database with your data. The service will not start because other databases (master) are missing, but this can be easily fixed. Please try to reinstall your accounting application, it should take care of reinstalling the database. If not, try to download and install SQL Server Express edition and then attach the database as described previously. Please take care to back up somewhere your existing database.

Regards

Piotr

• David,

you have your database file so the data is not lost yet, whatever you do keep that .mdf (and hopefully .ldf) file safe.

As I see it you have two options - scrub the current application install and reinstall it which should reinstall SQL express (I would expect there to be a prompt asking if you want to do this as part of the install process) and then reattach your database files. This may be your best bet as you have no backups of your system databases.

Other option is the process I described above which will enable SQL to start, then you will be able to connect and attach your database. The app will be missing the login used to connect though (this is recoverable if you know or can change the password)

If this is outside your comfort level you may have to bite the bullet and get someone in for half a day to recover it. (thats all the time it would take).

good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• David

To be able to search for a specific file extension, you need to specify that in the search criteria.

*.bak = Search for any file name with the bak file extension

*.mdf = Search for any file name with the mdf file extension

A*.mdf = Search for any file that begins with an A with any number of characters, and any characters, with an mdf file extension

All of this is in the Help file that comes with Windows.

I have just ran thru the accounting install, up to the point that is asks if I want to use one of my current databases or create one for me. It also detected that I already have SQL Server running. I do not however, have SSExpress. But it should ask that, because SS is required.

Andrew SQLDBA

• Hi Guys

i have tried to uninstall my accounting software and my contact manager and install them again hoping it would recreate the link . They have uninstalled ok but now when I am trying to reinstall them I get an error .

Here is the logs.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.3042.00

==============================

OS Version : Professional (Build 7231)

Time : Sat Jan 09 18:17:40 2010

Machine : THEHALL-PC

Product : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)

Product Version : 9.00.3042.00

Install : Successful

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLSupport_1.log

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product : SQL Native Client

Error : An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client

Install : Failed

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLNCLI_1.log

Last Action : InstallFinalize

Error String : An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.

Error Number : 1706

Product : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SqlWriter_1.log

Product : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLSupport_2.log

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.

Time : Sat Jan 09 18:18:01 2010

List of log files:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_Core(Local).log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLSupport_1.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLNCLI_1.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SqlWriter_1.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SQLSupport_2.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_Datastore.xml

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_.NET Framework 2.0.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_Support.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_Core.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_THEHALL-PC_SCC.log

It just seems to be getting worse.

Any more info please.

Dave

• Try to find file sqlncli.msi on the installation disk. Right click it and then choose Install. It happened to me once too, that setup of something related to SQL Server (I don't remember what it was exactly) was failing because of invalid state of SQL Native Client. If you can't find it on the setup disk, try to download it from here.

When you install native client, restart installation of your software.

Regards

Piotr

• All that's saying is that some of the installation files are missing. I think you're going to have to find the original installation disks for the app and reinstall completely from scratch. Maybe also contact the support people for these apps, they can walk you through, step by step what to do.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • david

having googled this error message i think it is likely you already have sql native client installed and you need to remove it.

fix seems to be

copy install files to a local directory

uninstall native client (can be done by running 'sqlncli.msi')

reboot machine

rerun install

see

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/16fd90cf-0dbc-4012-9970-6ca29b6f4aef

a google of this error will bring up similar resolutions and other pointers

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply