Please can anyone tell me how to use Bucket Concept in SSRS

• I am generating one report in which i have to combine ages into three levels like 18-40,41-60 and 60 above........i am doing this witout using cube so please could anyone solve this query for me .i m not able to combine the ages into above mentioned threee groups.........actually its nt accepting the syntax

• Actually,ritesh i m also facing the same problem.So if u get the answer for this query then tell me also .my cell no.-( as u know).

• If good old T-SQL is what you're looking for:

[font="System"]SELECT (CASE WHEN Age > 60

THEN 'Old'

ELSECASE WHEN Age > 40

THEN 'MiddleAge'

ELSECASE WHEN Age > 18

THEN'Young'

ELSE 'Baby'

END

END

END) AS AgeGroup

FROM ViewOfAges[/font]

Peter Rijs
    BI Consultant, The Netherlands

• Try something like:

SELECT

SUM(CASE WHEN age>=60

THEN measure ELSE 0 END) AS over_60,

SUM(CASE WHEN age>40 AND age <60

THEN measure ELSE 0 END) AS over_40,

SUM(CASE WHEN age>18 AND age <=41

THEN measure ELSE 0 END) AS over_18

FROM

measure_source_data

• As an alternative to using T-SQL, you can add a calculated field to your report dataset and use an expression like:

=Switch(

Fields!Age.Value >= 18 And Fields!Age.Value <= 40, "18-40",

Fields!Age.Value >= 41 And Fields!Age.Value <= 60, "41-60",

Fields!Age.Value > 60, "Above 60"

)

Peter

• Thnks peter fr tht code bt thts not exactly wht i was looking fr.see i have a age column in a table called Party_dim .now i created one parameter and wht i want to show in prompt is 18-40,41-60 nd 60 above options when drill down.i did tht but when the report is generated its not combining the values in tht selected range.i.e if i select 18-40 than it should combine the values frm age 18 to age 40and display the result in single report......please help me i m not able to proceed further..

• I hope I do unstand your question this time.

Set the following label/value pairs as the available (non-queried) values to your parameter (let's name it AgeRange):

18-40, 18040

41-60, 41060

61 and above, 61999

Now you can add a filter to your dataset and test for

Fields!Age.Value >= Parameters!AgeRange.Value Mod 1000 and Fields!Age.Value <= CInt(Parameter!AgeRange.Value / 1000).

As an alternative, if you are using T-SQL you can add a simular restriction in your where clause, i.e. ... WHERE Party_dim.Age BETWEEN @AGERANGE % 1000 and @AGERANGE / 1000 and bind query parameter @AGERANGE to you report parameter Parameters!AgeRange.Value

Peter

• Though I deem Peter Brinkhaus' solution as not very maintainable (If I would stumble across this code :pinch: it would take me some time to figure out what's going on), I have to applaud him for a rather elegant and probably performant solution!

Well thought, man :Wow:

Peter Rijs
    BI Consultant, The Netherlands

• thnks peter for tht idea................i applied it but in little differnt way and it worked for me.Thnks for tht switch expression too becoz tht expression helped me too in sorting the values.

• I like this. But if I'm reading this right, the logic is reversed.

Shouldn't it be:

Fields!Age.Value >= CInt(Parameter!AgeRange.Value / 1000) and Fields!Age.Value <= Parameters!AgeRange.Value Mod 1000?

the CInt(AgeRange/1000) returns 18; the AgeRange mod 1000 returns 40

so Age >=18 and Age <=40

Peter Brinkhaus (6/12/2008)

I hope I do unstand your question this time.

Set the following label/value pairs as the available (non-queried) values to your parameter (let's name it AgeRange):

18-40, 18040

41-60, 41060

61 and above, 61999

Now you can add a filter to your dataset and test for

Fields!Age.Value >= Parameters!AgeRange.Value Mod 1000 and Fields!Age.Value <= CInt(Parameter!AgeRange.Value / 1000).

As an alternative, if you are using T-SQL you can add a simular restriction in your where clause, i.e. ... WHERE Party_dim.Age BETWEEN @AGERANGE % 1000 and @AGERANGE / 1000 and bind query parameter @AGERANGE to you report parameter Parameters!AgeRange.Value

Peter

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Oops, you're absolutely right! I agree with Peter Rijs, it's easy to make a mistake without proper testing. Anyway, the idea was clear, I suppose.

Peter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply