Plan for Capacity

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Plan for Capacity

• Well I must admit that I most places that I have worked for have had VERY poor capacity planning. Most cannot see past the end of the week. Its actually quite scary and its not difficult to do simple capacity monitoring.

They were all re-active. Painfully annoying as they normally fixed the problem in the quickest, dirtiest manner possible.

Saying that I have worked for one place that was some what pro-active and it was a very boring place to work. Very rarely had performance issues on PROD, servers were all well maintained, etc.

• Management & Infrastructure investment, sometimes these seem like worlds apart and no matter how much evidence you bring to the table of impending doom. The lack of either understanding or sheer ignorance for the life line of the business is ignored because it is viewed as an expense as opposed to the dollar signs of ever more profit... I've seen it first hand... Warn them and beg for not even much investment...$5k is next to nothing when the possibility of losing 5 clients data in one shot is hanging in the balance... The end result of this saga was losing a client and having to save what little we could and move to a "not so" overloaded server... I've since left the company, but the "I told you so" makes me smile every once in a while...

• grahamc (10/20/2010)

Well I must admit that I most places that I have worked for have had VERY poor capacity planning. Most cannot see past the end of the week. Its actually quite scary and its not difficult to do simple capacity monitoring.

They were all re-active. Painfully annoying as they normally fixed the problem in the quickest, dirtiest manner possible.

Saying that I have worked for one place that was some what pro-active and it was a very boring place to work. Very rarely had performance issues on PROD, servers were all well maintained, etc.

I have seen both extremes as well. Personally, I prefer the boring place to work. I like to sleep nights and stay home on weekends.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply