Pet Peeves

• I'd like to share a beer as well. In fact, be happy to buy one for anyone that's lucky enough to come to PASS.

Especially Antares, you need one

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

The Best of SQL Server Central.com 2002 - http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/bestof/

http://www.dkranch.net

• often when talking to non-tech end user I will just try to explain maybe give an example and tell them I will look into it.

When talking to a fellow developer.. I will try to get info and give a relevant example with lots of comments. That way they can follow better..

Still gets on me tho..

BTW: I would have a beer with you guy's anytime...

Will

• Network admin installing an "upgrade", leaving the raid array on the cluster unplugged

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Explaining that a fillfactor of 10% on every clustered index applied in the middle of the day is just stupid for the 400th time

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• And no! Active/Active clusters do NOT load balance!

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

• Applying with (rowlock) to every single sql string in your App is NOT a solution to its inability to handle deadlocks!

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

• I'm a bitter angry DBA

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

• Don't they have alcohol in UK?

• quote:

Don't they have alcohol in UK?

Not enough to get rid of the pain.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• A DBA needs to be aware of the fact that the liver is evil and deserves regular doses of punishment.

• quote:

A DBA needs to be aware of the fact that the liver is evil and deserves regular doses of punishment.

An admin needs to be aware of the fact that the users are evil and deserve regular punishment...

BTW -- congratulations, Lee -- you've been promoted to a three-star user!

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• quote:

Don't they have alcohol in UK?

Yeah we do, and not that poor prohibition leftover stuff you yanks drink (budweiser etc), proper stuff servered at room temperature!

Unfortunately they won't let me use this obviously valuable relaxation aid in work. I'm thinking of taking them to the European Court of Human rights it can't possibly be fair.

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

• Lee,

Glad to see you're still kickin'. How'd it go with Isabel? Did the boat make it?

cl

Signature is NULL

• quote:

Glad to see you're still kickin'. How'd it go with Isabel? Did the boat make it?

Thanks! The wife and I evacuated to my brother's, about 260 miles due west of here in Stuart, VA ("Gateway to Appalachia"). There we caught a few of the gales and a lot of the rain, but otherwise nothing remarkable. The condo came out relatively unscathed, and the boat survived, due mainly to a smaller-than-expected storm surge in Linkhorn Bay. The water only rose to about a foot up over the dock. (It's just a little 13' skiff. Not the SS Minnow, more like the SS Plankton. Believe me when I say Donald Trump isn't laying awake at night worrying about how to afford one like it. But I'm glad she survived.) We were fortunate that Isabel downgraded from a Cat-5 to a Cat-2 by the time it whacked us. 70 mph winds are one thing, 155 mph winds something else altogether.

> Yeah we do, and not that poor prohibition leftover stuff you yanks drink (budweiser etc), proper stuff servered at room temperature!

I've been a fan of British/Scottish/Irish ales for years (Samuel Smith's Nut Brown is great, so is Belhaven Scottish). But I always thought they were consumed warm in UK due to the Lucas refrigerators.

• quote:

quote:

> Yeah we do, and not that poor prohibition leftover stuff you yanks drink (budweiser etc), proper stuff servered at room temperature!

I've been a fan of British/Scottish/Irish ales for years (Samuel Smith's Nut Brown is great, so is Belhaven Scottish). But I always thought they were consumed warm in UK due to the Lucas refrigerators.

Nah, it's 'cause more alcohol gets into your blood if the booze is closer to body temp

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply