Persist Groups Of Servers In Enterprise Manager

• How do I persist a group of servers that I can open up again later in Enterprise Manager / 2008?

I typically work with many different groups of servers across the country. I'd like to be able to save a project called, say "East Coast Servers", and have all those servers open for me automatically in the Server Exporer window. I don't really see a conveinient way to do this. I have to go through the pain of connecting to all the servers every time I open Enterprise Mgr. There MUST be a better way.

Thanks guys!

• This is one of the reasons why I either hibernate or leave my PC on over night 😀

One thing which I've always disliked doing though is having multiple server connections open in the same Management studio instance.

I'm typicall working in environments with integrated windows security - usually only need to type in the first few letters of the server name and windows remembers the rest and autocompletes for me, takes 2-3 seconds to connect and login.

• Thanks for the feedback!

Yea, I hibernate as well until something forces me to reboot (like Windows Update). Then I have to open them all again. It's not that difficult to login to the server I want, only when I need to, I'm just terrible at remembering all the names.

How come you hate having multiple servers open in the same instance? Is it the risk of executing the wrong script on the wrong server? I've done that quite a few times actually, so I'd certainly agree with that argument.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply