PerformancePoint Tool - new BI Tool

• Hi All,

i am pretty good at SSRS and Report Builder and my boss wants to explore this tool PerformancePoint. it's another BI Tool by Microsoft.

has anyone worked with it before? can you please share some info/leads, opinion, anything you want to say :-), if you a Developer and not a Sales Person, i'd like to hear what you think :-), please.

i just want to know if it's worth spending $$ on it for the reason other than me learning a new Tool 🙂 which i like doing anyway.

Cheers + thanks in advance for writing me back.

Maya.

• Performance Point is Microsoft's evolution from Proclarity and Microsoft scorecards. I have not actually worked with Performance Point, but I have worked with Proclarity.

I am actually trying to push Cognos out and bring Performance Point in at my current shop. What I know about Proclarity is at its heart it was a cube viewer. You could drag and drop dimensions and/or actually build queries with sufficient privileges out of MDX.

SSRS is great, but even the ad-hoc report builder is limited compared with a full blown cube viewer. The cube viewer can turn things into various graphs at the user's request, the user can then share thier new report with graphs they created for instance. When another user views that saved report they can change it with sufficient privileges and use it to look at month versus weeks, or for an additional product line, or change the graph style.

All you as a developer have to do is provide the multidimensional objects, rules, and permissions and you will have delivered ultimate power to your users muhahahah. You will need to know or learn SSAS, SSIS, MDX, and general OLAP architecture. You may already have some or all of these under your belt. If you are already using cubes as your data source for SSRS then you are way ahead in the game.

Anyway, I would also like to hear someone speak directly about performance point.

Regards,

• thank you so much for writing me, that's awesome! i really appreciate it. here is something i found myself:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA101956561033.aspx

it is a self-paced training

• Hi,

what was not mentioned in this thread was that Performance Point is the tool from MS with which you could do Planing. (e.g. budget planing) This completes the BI stack of microsoft.

Kindest Regards,

SK

• This is just one of the many reasons I love this site. My first task today was to start looking at PerformancePoint and what do I find - a very helpful link.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys, and that goes for the other 612,284 professionals who use this site. Not to mention Brian, Steve, Andy and the others.

• Hi

I have working with on 1 project, I also have to realize many Proof of concept for a set of customer

In fact Performance came to add more integration and of homogenite to the Microsoft BI

offer

It contains 2 :

- Monitoring: who allows to build dashboards for the piloting of the performance

- Planning: I have not working with but I know that it is a tool of Budgetisation and of budgect consolidation

The advantage of Performance Monitoring and its dashboarding tool Designer it is because he offers one only one interface allowing to conceive dashboards by using the other tools of Microsoft: reporting Services, Proclarity, + seen a new tools allowing to show the data of cubes SSAS on grids with gauges, the analytical graphics and ....

With possibility of management of dashboard zone

(We can create display zone and personalise every zone).

The whole can be published in a sharepoint site in the form of navigable page.

The advantage of Performance it is the filter notion of that we can use to filter several sights at the same time

:hehe:

• Just this week I did a stand alone configuration of PPS as a rush deal ("Get this up we needed it yesterday").

My setup included, a full SQL 2005 Enterprise is recommended for PPS (with Build 1386 applied). You'll also need IIS, Ajax 2.0, .NET Framework 3.0, and Sharepoint Services 3.0.

I can definitely see the appeal of PPS.

• Hi chaps - JBI training has a couple of PerformancePoint training courses that might be of interest to SQL Server / SharePoint types in the UK (we're based in London)...

2-day introduction to Business Intelligence with PerformancePoint Training Course

and

5-day Comprehensive Business Intelligence with Performance Point Training Course

Please let me know if any of these are of interest, or if you have questions or feedback about course content etc.

Kind regards

Tom

JBI Training - UK Freephone 0800 028 6400

P.S. If you do get in touch, please mention that you've seen this post and I'll give you a 10% discount (but remember to ask for Tom !)

• I see the Performance Point Demo on Heroes event in Hawaii, it will very cool.

I wish I can bring it in. It builds on share point - My environment is a jsp portal with plug-in with any in-house asp.net application

Does one have performance point with custom form authorization for share point 2007? Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply