Performance tuning

• y.koteswarrao-652921 (3/13/2008)

Hi

How to do performance tuning? and when to do?

Koteswarrao

1) You should do it when it needs to be done. many variables to that answer.

2) Easiest and best way is to have a professional come in and do it with you, teaching you as you go along.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (8/24/2010)

1) You should do it when it needs to be done. many variables to that answer.

And, remember, if you do it while you're writing code by following best practices and common sense all the time, it may not need to be done in the future.

2) Easiest and best way is to have a professional come in and do it with you, teaching you as you go along.

I know I'm taking things a bit out of context but the easiest and best way is to do it while you're writing code so it never becomes a problem. However, I absolutely agree that if you don't know how to do that or something get's out of hand, then bringing in the proverbial "pro from Dover" is the way to go as Kevin said. In fact, if you bring in such a person during the planning phases of a project, you can probably save yourself a huge amount of money further on down the line because performance tuning later costs much more than writing for performance up front.

In case you folks don't know, Kevin is one of those pros you can count on either in the planning stages or in the panic stages. At the risk of sounding like his agent (I'm not), give him a call if you need such a pro. He's helped a lot of folks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I am a fresh entrant into real time project and i hav been put into performance tuning.I donno where to start with.i need to know what are all the things i should know for performance tuning.please help me with it.

• Entire books have been written on performance tuning (several of them)

Start with these:

Inside SQL Server 2005: Query Tuning and Optimisation by Kalen Delaney et al.

SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled by Grant Fritchey

And read over all the other replies in this thread.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • thank u.!

• In addition. If you have absolutely no experience in tuning, you're going to struggle in doing it. It's one of those areas where experience really is key. See if you can persuade management to get an external consultant (like Kevin - TheSQLGuru) in to help and train. It really does make a difference.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • yes i hav absolutely no experience in it..jus now i hav completed training and into real time project..rite now i hav not given any major tasks..but my work ll be in that area..so am learning as much as i can..

• Thanks for the props Gail! Look forward to seeing you again at the MVP Summit in 7 weeks!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply