Performance Issue In DB

• Come on guys. :w00t: Drop the crack pipe and step back away please. RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

Come on guys. :w00t: Drop the crack pipe and step back away please. RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) 😀

Oooohhh, Reading! Yeah, I *totally* agree. You should start reading a wider variety of books so as to improve your overall understanding of this stuff. 😀

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

Come on guys. :w00t: Drop the crack pipe and step back away please. RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) 😀

I thought a Borg reference was acceptable since we are all a bit :hehe:

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Adam Machanic (1/19/2012)

TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

Fact. RIF.

Realistic Imitation Firearm ? 😀

Room Inventory Form? 😀

Ruhe in Frieden? 😀

Routing Information Field? 😀

Rain-Induced Fade? 😀

Rapid Innovation Fund? 😀

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Guitar RIF?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Adam Machanic (1/19/2012)

TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

Oooohhh, Reading! Yeah, I *totally* agree. You should start reading a wider variety of books so as to improve your overall understanding of this stuff. 😀

Gotta love that Boston attitude! lol

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

GSquared (1/19/2012)

GilaMonster (1/18/2012)

TravisDBA (1/18/2012)

Dave Ballantyne (1/18/2012)

I still say that using SQL Profiler is a good place to start

It hasnt been said explicity in this thread , so i will 🙂

Never run profiler live. Server side tracing / extended events are what you need.

Baloney! I have run it for years with no issues.

Not baloney. I've crashed a production server by starting profiler (with a very limited trace set). I'm far from the only one.

The GUI takes latches that server-side trace doesn't. The fact that you haven't personally had problems does not mean that the Profiler Gui does not cause problems run against busy production servers even with a limited set of events.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/linchi_shea/archive/2007/08/01/trace-profiler-test.aspx

http://www.sqlmag.com/article/performance/sql-server-profiler-or-server-side-trace-

Ditto.

Profiler is a pretty limited-use tool. Not because of what it can do for you, but because of what it can do to you.

Well..Brad McGeHee wrote a entire book on it and he does not say that at all, quite the contrary, so who should I listen to? Him or you? BTW, how many books have you written on the subject? 😀

I was trying to make an actual point, that SQL Profiler has known, well-documented issues, even according to Microsoft, and that using it without keeping that in mind is a bad idea.

It's easy to prove that Profiler has, all by itself, an impact on performance in the server. Therefor, using it to measure performance is inherently flawed. You don't hook a blowtorch to your meat thermometer when you're cooking, because it would skew the measurement. Profiler is a measuring tool that alters what it's measuring, thus invalidating its own results. At best, it's like measuring length by using a rubber ruler - it'll stretch or compress, and you don't know by how much, so how can you count on any measurement taken with it? Simply put, you can't.

And I don't care WHO says otherwise. Name-dropping and proof-by-authority don't refute the easy proof that Profiler affects performance, and a yardstick that changes what it's measuring violates the whole purpose of measuring in the first place.

And as far as the fatuous idea that just because something is in a book, it must be more valid than something said by someone who hasn't written a book, that's so easy to refute it's almost not worth bothering. Fact-check just about any politician's autobiography, and you'll see what I mean.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• TravisDBA (1/19/2012)

Drop the crack pipe?

I'd recommend following your own advice because you have to be smoking crack to continue arguing that running a trace inside of Profiler against a live production system is good thing to keep doing. Eventually it bites everyone that does it when they finally get the chance to work with a SQL Server that has a significant workload running against it.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Jonathan Kehayias (1/19/2012)

Eventually it bites everyone that does it when they finally get the chance to work with a SQL Server that has a significant workload running against it.

And it is a lesson that you don't ever want to learn the hard way. And if you experience it, I hope it only happens once.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Locking this thread. This has gotten away from the original question

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply