Performance implications of having distribution agents skip errors

• Hey all,

I was updating the fields in a database that is transactionally replicated among about 6 servers. When I was testing the replication, I noticed there were some problems causing replication to not work on some servers and so I had to fix them. This resulted in some data heterogeneity between servers. After the issues were fixed, a bunch of distribution agents were yielding the error "Error: 20598, row was not found at subscriber when applying the replicated command". I believe these were for the test rows that weren't replicated when replication wasn't working. It's not important that these rows be replicated, so I had the distribution agents skip these errors.

Replication is working now, but it seems like the client software that interfaces with the database is running more slowly than before the updates. One thing I was wondering is if the distribution agents continue attempting to apply the commands that yielded the errors, and skipping the errors. Is this the case, and, if so, could database performance by adversely affected if there are a significant number of these such commands? If so, I think I'd like to clear the queue of them.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

• go into the distributing profile and change to continue on data consistency

• cjohn5552 (12/30/2010)

One thing I was wondering is if the distribution agents continue attempting to apply the commands that yielded the errors, and skipping the errors. Is this the case, and, if so, could database performance by adversely affected if there are a significant number of these such commands? If so, I think I'd like to clear the queue of them.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

Nope, I believe it marks that transaction / command as replicated and then allows it to be cleared from the distribution database. If you watch in replmon it will show "N number of ... skipped". Once you see that they are no longer considered by the distribution agent.

Where specifically are you seeing the performance issues?

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks for the advice. Re: performance issues, no where in particular, but performance is an issue in general. 🙂

I was wondering about this because I was curious about cases where the structure of the database is setup incorrectly, wondering how urgent it is to fix the issues if the errors can simply be skipped. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply