Password mismatch error on remote connections

• When I try using SSMS to connect to my SQL Server 2005 server remotely using the sa account, I get login failed for user sa. It's a State: 8 error which is a password mismatch. I can login locally with no problem. I thought there may be something wrong with the sa account so I created a new sql account. I was able to connect remotely once and then the next time I tried to connect using SSMS I got the password mismatch error again. I'm still able to connect locally with both sql accounts so I know it's not a problem with the password even though the error message says so. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Are you sure you're connecting to the same machine? Are you going with Windows name, IP, FQDN? I'd suspect you're connecting to two different machines somehow or two instances for some reason. Check for an alias on the client.

• I have tried the IP and server name and there is only one default instance of sql server installed. There are no aliases on the server or client computer.

• Here's another twist to the problem. I can setup an odbc connection to the sql server on my desktop using the sa account and it connects successfully but I still can't connect using SSMS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply