Passing User Parameter to Execute SQL Task

• I have created a User variable (varMaxDate) that simply holds the maximum date from a SQL table. I have an Execute SQL Task created that pulls that data from the DB and assigns it to that varMaxDate variable. What I would like to do is use that varMaxDate variable within the WHERE clause of another SQL query. Within the second Execute SQL Task I added the following expression for the SQLStatementSource property: "select * from Person.Contact WHERE (ModifiedDate >= " + (DT_WSTR,50) @[User::varMaxDate]

My first task runs fine and I see the value changing in the varMaxDate variable when debugging. However, the second task fails and throws this error:

[Execute SQL Task] Error:

Executing the query "select * from Person.Contact WHERE (ModifiedDate >..."

failed with the following error: "Incorrect syntax near '4'.". Possible failure reasons:

Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly,

or connection not established correctly.

What is the proper way to accomplish this simple task?

• In the next EXEC SQL task you simply use the placeholder ? and then use the parameter mapping to say that that variable IS the ?

CEWII

• So here is what I have now:

SQL Statement from Execute SQL Task 2:

select * from Person.Contact WHERE ModifiedDate >= ?

Parameter Mapping from SQL Task 2:

Variable Name: User::varMaxDate

Direction: Input

Data Type: DBTIMESTAMP

Parameter Name: ?

Paramter Size: -1

Throwing this error now:

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "select * from Person.Contact WHERE ModifiedDate >=..." failed

with the following error: "Invalid time format". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet"

property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

My varMaxDate variable is of type DateTime. When I change the parameter mapping in the second Execute SQL Task mapping I get these associated errors:

DataType:

DBTIME

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "select * from Person.Contact WHERE ModifiedDate >=..."

failed with the following error: "Invalid time format". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query,

"ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

DBDATE

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "select * from Person.Contact WHERE ModifiedDate >=..."

failed with the following error: "Unsupported data type on parameter binding 0.". Possible failure reasons:

Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection

not established correctly.

DBDATE2

failed with the following error: "Unsupported data type on parameter binding 0.". Possible failure reasons:

Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection

not established correctly.

• Can anyone help me out with the data type issue that I explained earlier?

• porcrim (6/8/2011)

Can anyone help me out with the data type issue that I explained earlier?

what's the data type for your variable: varMaxDate

• varMaxDate is of type DateTime. I have tried setting the parameter mapping to the following data types:

Date

DBDate

DBTime

DBTimeStamp

• porcrim (6/8/2011)

varMaxDate is of type DateTime. I have tried setting the parameter mapping to the following data types:

Date

DBDate

DBTime

DBTimeStamp

Try setting up the second Execute SQL Task #2 as follows...

General

SQL Source Type: Direct

SQL Statement: select * from Person.Contact WHERE ModifiedDate >= ?

Parameter Mapping

Variable Name: User::varMaxDate

Direction: Input

Data Type: Date

Parameter Name: 0 (zero, not the letter)

Also, you may want to confirm the scope of your variable (User::varMaxDate) and use breakpoints to monitor the value.

• That worked. I had a second Execute SQL task in there configured that way but it wasn't working until I deleted that task and recreated it. Thanks for your help.

• porcrim (6/9/2011)

That worked. I had a second Execute SQL task in there configured that way but it wasn't working until I deleted that task and recreated it. Thanks for your help.

awesome - glad you got it working.

i too have been in situations were simply deleting the component, adding it back, and configuring from scratch has appeared to be the solution.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply