passing parameters to function w/ inner join

• it is supposed to give me that back zips within 50 miles but it does not give me any rows back

• 1. are there any rows in ZIPUSA for zip code '45053'? if not - that will never return anything.

2. if 1. does have data, then the function is messed up, and needs to be fixed somehow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Should have Okeana, OH for that Zip code. There are approx 300 Zip codes within approx 50 miles of that Zip.

(Edit: Took less than 1 ms of CPU time, total of 15 ms, to get that, using my query on a table of all US Zip codes that I have.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• i swear my function was working fine before now it is not returning the results i would expect. I haven't changed anything

Gsquared solution works like you suggested

I get several results

select zp.zip_code,zp.citystname,zip2.lat,zip2.lng

from

(select distinct zip_code, citystname, lat,lng

from zipusa) As ZP

inner join

(select lat,lng,Zip_code from zipusa where

zip_code='45053') as Zip2 on

zp.lat between (zip2.lat -1.45) and (zip2.lat + 1.45)

and zp.lng between (zip2.lng -1.45) and (zip2.lng + 1.45)

however when i tried to add variables to the above solution and create a procedure

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[zipFind]

@Radius int = 0,

@Zip nvarchar (50)

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

declare @LatCalc int

declare @LngCalc int

set @LatCalc=(@Radius/69)

set @LngCalc=(@Radius/69)

select zp.zip_code,zp.citystname,zip2.lat,zip2.lng

from

(select distinct zip_code, citystname, lat,lng

from zipusa) As ZP

inner join

(select lat,lng,Zip_code from zipusa where

zip_code=@Zip) as Zip2 on

zp.lat between (zip2.lat -@LatCalc) and (zip2.lat + @LatCalc)

and zp.lng between (zip2.lng - @LngCalc) and (zip2.lng + @LngCalc)

END

I only get back one result that is equal to my zip variable

• GSquared (4/29/2008)

Should have Okeana, OH for that Zip code. There are approx 300 Zip codes within approx 50 miles of that Zip.

(Edit: Took less than 1 ms of CPU time, total of 15 ms, to get that, using my query on a table of all US Zip codes that I have.)

yeah i can't get it to work in a stored proc

• Change:

declare @LatCalc int

declare @LngCalc int

to:

declare @LatCalc float

declare @LngCalc float

See if that fixes it for you.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You might also want to change:

set @LatCalc=(@Radius/69)

set @LngCalc=(@Radius/69)

to:

set @LatCalc=abs(@Radius/69)

set @LngCalc=abs(@Radius/69)

That way, if someone accidentally enters a negative value for the radius, it will still work. Kind of paranoid, but I believe in being careful about that kind of thing.

Property of The Thread

• made both changes you suggested still am only getting one resuls

• I missed that @Radius is declared as Int. Change that to Float too, please.

Property of The Thread

• changing the int variable to float did the trick.

thanks

2 last questions

How can i calculate the distance in miles for this query

i would like each row in my results to have a column like distance and that columns would tell you the distance from that zip to the zip variable

why did changing the to float as opposed to integer make the difference?

was it because it was more of a real number?

Thanks again to you and Matt for your help

• The reason changing to float worked is because 50/69, in Integer, is 0. In Float/Real, it's .72464. Makes a big difference in the calculation.

Here's a formula for distance:

declare @DegToRad as float

set @DegToRad = 57.29577951

abs(3959 * ATAN(SQRT(1 -

SQUARE(

SIN(lat1 / @DegToRad) *

SIN(lat2 / @DegToRad) +

COS(lat1 / @DegToRad) *

COS(lat2 / @DegToRad) *

COS(ABS(long2 - long1)/@DegToRad)))

/

SIN(lat1 / @DegToRad) *

SIN(lat2 / @DegToRad) +

COS(lat1 / @DegToRad) *

COS(lat2 / @DegToRad) *

COS(ABS(long2 - long1)/@DegToRad)))

It has occassional problems because of floating-point rounding, but otherwise works quite well. The problem only comes up when locations are extremely close together.

You'll have to modify it to have your latitude and longitude columns in it.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (4/29/2008)

The reason changing to float worked is because 50/69, in Integer, is 0. In Float/Real, it's .72464. Makes a big difference in the calculation.

Here's a formula for distance:

It has occassional problems because of floating-point rounding, but otherwise works quite well. The problem only comes up when locations are extremely close together.

You'll have to modify it to have your latitude and longitude columns in it.

I am getting some crazy numbers with this formula I am getting 2132 as distance for places i know are only 10 miles away just about everything is coming up as 2100 miles or more even though my radius is only 50.

here is my formula I was not sure which longitude to subtract from but i tried both ways and still got similar results

abs(3959 * ATAN(SQRT(1 -

SQUARE(

SIN(zp.lat / @DegToRad) *

SIN(zip2.lat / @DegToRad) +

COS(zp.lat / @DegToRad) *

COS(zip2.lat / @DegToRad) *

COS(ABS(zp.lng-zip2.lng)/@DegToRad)))

/

COS(ABS(zp.lng-zip2.lng)/@DegToRad))) as distance

• My fault. I forgot a pair of parentheses when I was converting this from the function I use.

Here you go:

abs(3959 * ATAN(SQRT(1 -

SQUARE(

COS(ABS(zp.lng-zip2.lng)/@DegToRad)))

/

(SIN(zp.lat / @DegToRad) *

COS(ABS(zp.lng-zip2.lng)/@DegToRad)))) as distance

Yeah, without the parentheses, it gives truly strange results.

(Edit: Note, with the ABS on it, it really doesn't matter which long is subtracted from which. abs(10-5) = abs(5-10).)

Property of The Thread

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply