Passing parameters into config file

• Hello all,

I am going to try and explain what I am looking to do here, so please bear with me :-).

I have several SSIS packages that run off of config files. Each package, as of now, has a dedicated config file which makes deployment prone to human error. What I would like to do is have one dedicated config file for all packages and pass variables into the config file.

I have researched environment variables, but I am concerned about security issues and creating extra steps. I am looking to do something like this...

<ConfiguredValue>Data Source=[User::DataSource];Initial Catalog=[User::InitialCatalog];Provider=[User::Provider];Integrated Security=[User::IntegratedSecurity];Auto Translate=False;

So, I am guessing that I can pass these parameters FROM a SQL Agent job into the SSIS package and into the config file. Is this possible?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. --Mike Tyson

• SQLTougherGuy (4/6/2016)

Hello all,

I am going to try and explain what I am looking to do here, so please bear with me :-).

I have several SSIS packages that run off of config files. Each package, as of now, has a dedicated config file which makes deployment prone to human error. What I would like to do is have one dedicated config file for all packages and pass variables into the config file.

I have researched environment variables, but I am concerned about security issues and creating extra steps. I am looking to do something like this...

<ConfiguredValue>Data Source=[User::DataSource];Initial Catalog=[User::InitialCatalog];Provider=[User::Provider];Integrated Security=[User::IntegratedSecurity];Auto Translate=False;

So, I am guessing that I can pass these parameters FROM a SQL Agent job into the SSIS package and into the config file. Is this possible?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

If you are using integrated security, what security issues concern you?

If you are not, you are going to have to put passwords somewhere. Unless you use 'sensitive' variables in SSISDB environments, the chances are that these passwords will be in clear text.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,

I guess my question should be... "What types of security issues will I have to concern myself with using environment variables."

I am using Windows Authentication, so I do not think I need to store passwords. Unless I am mistaken.

• SQLTougherGuy (4/6/2016)

Hi Phil,

I guess my question should be... "What types of security issues will I have to concern myself with using environment variables."

I am using Windows Authentication, so I do not think I need to store passwords. Unless I am mistaken.

Here is a 'sensitive' environment variable. Even I, as creator, cannot see its value. So it's quite secure, IMO.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Unticking the 'Sensitive' check box does not reveal the password, in case you were wondering.

• Going to try it with Environment Variables, thanks as always 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply