Passing a value from a stored procedure

• I've created this procedure to count the number of times a particular condition was met in a log file.

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_SMTPSTATS AS

DECLARE @test-2 AS INT

SELECT @test-2 = COUNT (*)

FROM smtpstats

Where clienthost = "10.0.0.64" AND Operation = "Data" AND bytesrecvd > 200 AND bytesrecvd < 2000

??????????????NOW WHAT????????????????????????????

GO

Now I need to finish the procedure to pass the value of @test-2 to a single text box in an Interdev asp page. The code may be all wrong, or I may be going about this all wrong I'm just looking for the right direction.

• CREATE PROCEDURE SP_SMTPSTATS @RETCODE INT OUTPUT

AS

SELECT @RETCODE = COUNT (*)

FROM smtpstats

Where clienthost = "10.0.0.64" AND Operation = "Data" AND bytesrecvd > 200 AND

bytesrecvd < 2000

you can call this using the command object from Asp and read the @RETCODE variable , but you have to define this as a output variable from the calling script too .

avoid using the sp_ prefix for your procedures as sql server would by default look up this proc in the master database

• Another, really simple but effective way is return the variable as a record set. If your ASP's not too hot this is a doddle.

CREATE PROCEDURE SP_SMTPSTATS AS

DECLARE @test-2 AS INT

SELECT @test-2 = COUNT (*)

FROM smtpstats

Where clienthost = "10.0.0.64" AND Operation = "Data" AND bytesrecvd > 200 AND bytesrecvd < 2000

SELECT @test-2 AS Result

Greg M Lucas
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work" - Frank Zappa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply