Partitioning strategies

• Hi all,

I am looking for info on best practices regarding automatic table partitioning (on a SAN):

- archiving: I was thinking of a sliding window scenario where all data older than 6 months would be moved on to another partition and this partition would be set to RO. Should I use the same filegroup/partition for all tables' old data or on per table (FG_Archive or FG_Tab1_Archive, FG_Tab2_Archive...). I think this could allow me peacemeal backup/restores and hopefully significant performance improvements.

- I read this articile: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964122.aspx describing an automatic partitioning setup on SQL 2005 but I don't see the the purpose of having 2 tables, is it not possible to keep a single table but to split its data across a 'current' and a 'old' partition automatically (each on its own filegroup)?

- In that same article I read: "Both partitions will be placed at the same FileGroup since the system is planned to run on SAN disk." Why does one imply the other?

Thanks a lot!

SQL Server 2005 Enterprise 64bit

db size: > 500Gb

• Hi,

good question, would be very interested by any input; no expert ideas ? 😎

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply