Partitioning Question

• I have a right partition function that uses a date field as the partition column.

After incorporating the partition function into my table by creating a clustered index, I inserted 1000 rows into the table.

When I look at the partition columns using the sql below, I see that the 1000s rows got correctly added to the correct partition (Partition Number 2)

but I also see that Partition Number 1 also has the 1000 rows. Is that supposed to happen? Why would both partitions have 1000 rows?

Any help is much appreciated.

select o.name, p.partition_number, p.rows

from sys.objects o

join sys.partitions p on (o.object_id=p.object_id)

where o.type='U'

order by o.name

• You probably have a non-clustered index on the one partition. Each index is represented in sys.partitions.

SELECT o.name

,p.partition_number

,p.index_id

,p.rows

FROM sys.objects o

JOINsys.partitions p

ON o.object_id = p.object_id

WHEREo.type = 'U';

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• They wouldn't. Is that second entry perhaps a non-partition aligned nonclustered index (you can't have a nonclustered index on a single partition and a partition-aligned one would have the same row distribution as the table). If an index is not partition-aligned, it'll only have one partition - partition 1.

Add index_id to your query. The table will be 1 (clustered index), above that is nonclustered indexes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply