partion of RAM between SQL server and Cluster server

• WE have allocated new 28 GB RAM to the CLuster server, NOw i have to allocate the 14 GB RAM to SQL server.

How would i can do that please guide me

Thank you

• Highlight the server name. Right click, Properties.

There is a line called "Memory". You can set your maximum SQL Server memory in that screen.

It is in MB so for 14 GB you put in 14,000 MB.

If the cluster server has 28 GB of RAM available, why would you limit SQL Server to only 14 GB?

Most setups do not put other applications on the same server.

SQL Server should really be the only major thing running on that cluster.

• james.morrison 19355 (7/7/2011)

Highlight the server name. Right click, Properties.

There is a line called "Memory". You can set your maximum SQL Server memory in that screen.

It is in MB so for 14 GB you put in 14,000 MB.

If the cluster server has 28 GB of RAM available, why would you limit SQL Server to only 14 GB?

Most setups do not put other applications on the same server.

SQL Server should really be the only major thing running on that cluster.

You would have to allocate 14GB if there were 2 separate instances. 14GB and 14GB. I'm not sure this is the case for the OP or not.

• You would have to allocate 14GB if there were 2 separate instances. 14GB and 14GB. I'm not sure this is the case for the OP or not.

I guess I am just not used to doing that on a SQL Server.

Instead of the extra overhead from running multiple instances, I would just put every database on the same default instance, especially on a cluster.

Something about the naming of extra instances just annoys my sense purity. I hate having the \ in the name of the SQL Server.

• How much memory does the server have total?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • server have 75 GB and we have add 28 GB more to Cluster server.

• So does it have 75 or 103?

Am not following you.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • niravbhat (7/7/2011)

server have 75 GB and we have add 28 GB more to Cluster server.

Each cluster node has 75 GB of Ram?

What are you dedicating the remaining 47 GB to? What else is running on the active node of the SQL cluster that you've dedicated 28 GB to?

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• I am going to guess that the OP means he needs to add 14GB of the additional 28GB of memory to that instance of SQL Server.

The question still remains - what else is running on that cluster? I am also wondering about the actual value of the available memory. I cannot come up with 75GB of available memory with any even distribution of memory sticks.

With all that said - if the actual value is 72GB of memory available, I would recommend no more than a total of 64GB of memory allocated to all instances that could run on a single node in the cluster.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply