Params-using default values for int

• HI all,

I am using SQL 2000 (yay!) and I haven't really come across this before. I have an sp which takes in several optional params. One of them is an integer. What I would like to do is set the default value of the param to pull ALL values if nothing is sent in. (where x like @param)

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me accomplish this?

TIA,

Beth

• One way to do it is the following (this works against the Products table in the Northwind database):

CREATE PROC usp_ShowProduct
    @ProductID int = 0
    AS
    SELECT
    FROM Products
    WHERE
    CASE WHEN @ProductID <> 0 THEN @ProductID
    ELSE ProductID
    END = ProductID
    GO

If you don't specify a value for @ProductID, it'll default to 0. The CASE statement then just uses ProductID (the column) which of course matches against all columns. The one problem with this method is that it will generate a table/index scan as opposed to an index seek, which means a performance hit.

Another way to do it is something akin to the following:

CREATE PROC usp_ShowProduct
    @ProductID int = 0
    AS
    IF (@ProductID = 0)
    BEGIN
    SELECT
    FROM Products
    END
    ELSE
    BEGIN
    SELECT
    FROM Products
    WHERE ProductID = @ProductID
    END
    GO

This will get the index seek and unless the query is a very complex one, you should avoid an execution plan recompile.

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the stored proc is already really long and kind of complex so I think I'll just create a different version for readibility and performance. I was hoping there was just something very basic I was missing but alas, not for me!

Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply